Thread: First ever attempt at soldering

Default First ever attempt at soldering

I have decided to have a go at soldering today and being the tender age of 48 have never really soldered anything so I jave set up my work station by putting my watch repair thing that are not needed in a drawer to make space for the new stuff.

So first questions are:
    1. Is the spacing ok on the jump ring?
    2. Too much solder? How do you get small flakes as my tools can't seem to cut anything smaller.

Thanks for any help

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210109_151842.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	29.3 KB 
ID:	12814

There is no way that joint will solder, solder should not fill a gap but solder 2 ends together in the case of a jump ring. The edges need to be flush which is done with 2 prs of pliers. It would be easier to watch a video rather than explain how this is done. The solder can be cut with snips or hammered thin and small pallions cut off. For a jump ring a tiny pallion is all that is required.
    I think a beginners step by step book of projects was suggested along with teaching videos. These things are much easier to watch or see pictures of than explain without sounding preachy.

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    There is no way that joint will solder, solder should not fill a gap but solder 2 ends together in the case of a jump ring. The edges need to be flush which is done with 2 prs of pliers. It would be easier to watch a video rather than explain how this is done. The solder can be cut with snips or hammered thin and small pallions cut off. For a jump ring a tiny pallion is all that is required.
    I think a beginners step by step book of projects was suggested along with teaching videos. These things are much easier to watch or see pictures of than explain without sounding preachy.
    There is no chance of sounding preachy.

I had two attempts before getting back to the laptop to see your reply. The first attempt was a total failure as I think there was to much solder and the gap too big and like you said about filling the gap and joining the ends. Second attemp was better but to be honest both are better than I expected them to turn out lol

I have the book that was mentioned with beginner projects, so will re read.

Thanks again for the pointers

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210109_165630.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	53.8 KB 
ID:	12815

The first thing as you already know is too much solder.
    I’ll try to explain closing the gap. Not as you might think squeezing the 2 ends together but with the circle of the ring facing you each end gripped in a pr of pliers, move one side back slightly and the other forward and then bring them back to meet. This should closed the gap. Make sure the joint is clean, flux both joint and solder