Thread: Harden really thin wire

Default Harden really thin wire

Hello everyone! hope are doing great! so like the tittle of the post says, is it possible to work harden any wire gauge? I mean really thin ones and how?

I’ve been seeing this super cute and thin rings all over pinterest and gotta say they are absolutely lovely, tried to make a couple of my own but the ring bended easily even after quenching and polishing, I read somewhere that hammering would help, and it in fact did but not enough to make them “bend Free”, also read about a tumbling machine but as well some people claim tumblers do not work harden the metal.

Any suggestions on how to make really thin wire sturdy enough for ring making?

Thank you very much for your time and patience c:

Ana.

(This is one example of a super thin ring )

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C0844880-E6AC-4CBF-B846-98F596A5AF35.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	5.2 KB 
ID:	12813

Hammering is the most common way twisting the back and forth will also harden it, often not practical because of design, if you use Argentium it can be hardened in a domestic oven.

Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    Hammering is the most common way twisting the back and forth will also harden it, often not practical because of design, if you use Argentium it can be hardened in a domestic oven.
    Thanks a lot, I use sterling silver, any recomendation for a hammer? rubber, nylon?

Thanks again!

If you don't want to texture it, then make it a half to one size too small, and stretch it to size on a ring stretcher. With a little practice, these simple ones will work.
    You put on the ring and lightly tap the top with a hammer. Keep taking it off to check the size until you are there.
    The effect of stretching will make it hard and round, but the wire will become a little thinner.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jewellers...YAAOSwaDxc7mCD Dennis

You could also use a standard ring mandrel, raw hide or nylon hammer will do the job without excessive marking on the metal.

Thanks a lot! will definitely try it!