Thread: Repair work on 375 mixed metal ring... thick black gunk!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Smile Repair work on 375 mixed metal ring... thick black gunk!

Hi all =)

Hope you are keeping safe out there.
    I'm hoping someone with more experience than I can help with a job I have!

I have been given a wedding ring to repair. I cleaned with hot water/soap and a toothbrush then ran it in the ultrasonic prior to working on it.
    It's hallmarked 375 gold and appears solid yellow gold with a twisted tri colour decorated band along the centre in red gold, white and yellow.
    When I heated the ring to start soldering (there's a small crack in the rose gold needing repair)... some black gunk started seeping out from between the tri colour band and decorative ring edge.
    I stopped heating further just in case it was something I haven't come across and put it in some pickle!
    Is it possible this is just more of the 2o years of dirt coming out or should I be aware of something else it could be?
    I was able to clean it off with some elbow grease but it took some shifting.

Thanks in advance...
    I've tried to attach a picture but it keeps failing!

Maria

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ring repair.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	9.8 KB 
ID:	12812

Picture if it's worked!

What came out in the ultrasonic , that would indicate whether it’s just lots of dirt or something else? It is pure gold?

I'd concur. For really gunked up pieces I sometimes soak them in caustic soda prior to the u/s clean.

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    What came out in the ultrasonic , that would indicate whether it’s just lots of dirt or something else? It is pure gold?
    Thanks so much for your replies!
    I only have a cheap ultrasonic so yes I might need to soak it first for a bit.
    It is hallmarked as 375 and feels pretty solid. White gold always makes me nervous as it seems to stain pretty quickly and I have had trouble removing firestain from a white gold ring when I first started which traumatised me =).

Caustic soda sounds scary Peter?!

If attempting a repair on combined 9ct yellow and white gold, be sure to use only easy solder, or better still make your excuses and hand it back. Dennis.

Ha. Yes, my husband unexpectedly brought it home from a work colleague otherwise I would have kindly refused this sort of job!

I have now been informed it is from H Samuels...hollow under neath the twisted area and filled with gunk perhaps?
    Offer to make a new one?!

Quote Originally Posted by Madge View Post
    Caustic soda sounds scary Peter?!
    It's something to treat with caution - but most chemicals are, really. It's very effective on accumulated gunk in rings, providing there's no stones that won't handle it.

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    It's something to treat with caution - but most chemicals are, really. It's very effective on accumulated gunk in rings, providing there's no stones that won't handle it.
    Great thanks, if it doesn't go back I might give that a try.
    Thanks for your help.

Maria