Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for an ethical manufacturer for a new jewelry brand

Lightbulb Looking for an ethical manufacturer for a new jewelry brand

Hi All Gem and Jewelry lovers.

Thank you for being here on this forum! We are starting a new jewelry brand, based on ethical material sourcing and production.

I am at the beginning of the manufacturer sourcing journey right now, I have been researching online for a few weeks, but I feel a bit lost - there is so much information out there, and I would love to hear from some experts with experience in the industry - where do jewelry brands manufacture their jewelry, or could you point me in the right direction/ or offer some tips?

Here is a bit more info about us and what we are ideally looking for:

* Fine jewelry as well as some fashion jewelry pieces
    * Gold, silver, gemstones, pearls and diamonds as materials
    * Prefer to use recycled gold and silver
    * Responsibly sourced gems, pearls and diamonds
    * A manufacturer whose practices respect human rights and is environmentally friendly on at least some level
    * A manufacturer that can produce around 50 pieces of each design to start with, then increasing over the years
    * We will be making our own designs, as well as being open to purchasing ready-made designs that can be customized with our logo in the metal. An exclusivity license on these ready-made designs would be a bonus.
    * Serving an international market online. Currently based physically in Australia and Germany, and plan to have a physical space in USA as well in next 5 years.
    * We are open to working with more than one manufacturer with different specialization areas.

I have searched:

* Alibaba (Didn't really find exactly what I was looking for in a supplier yet)
    * Responsible Jewelry Council directory of manufacturers (some good options here - but would love the confidence of a recommendation)
    * Some other google searches. (Some good looking options - would love a recommendation to guide me better)

So that is where I am up to. I would so appreciate any insights into my method of searching, or if anyone has a golden tip on who exactly to use, or where to look, I would be so grateful!

Thank you for your time and have a lovely day.

Love,
    LightandJoy
    Last edited by LightandJoy; 06-01-2021 at 12:09 AM.

good luck have you tried Argos ?

Given this is a forum for individual makers, this isn't the right place to try and find answers to those questions.
    It sounds like you need an industry consultant.

If you can't answer those questions yourself I'd say your ambitions are way ahead of your ability.
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by josef1 View Post
    good luck have you tried Argos ?
    Hi Josef1,
    Thanks so much for your reply. No, I haven't heard of Argos. I just typed it into google and found this: argos.co.uk. Is that what you were referring to? If not, please do let me know more info Thanks again for your time and have a lovely day.
    Best wishes,
    LightandJoy
    Last edited by LightandJoy; 06-01-2021 at 10:25 PM.

Hi ps_bond,

Thanks so much for your time to reply. Oh I see, OK then it does seem like I have posted this in the wrong place! Sorry about that. I wonder if you know if there are any forums suitable for this kind of question? I so appreciate any help or guidance you have.

Best wishes,
    LightandJoy

Dear Pearlescence,

Yes, you are totally right! Reaching for the stars!

Have a lovely day and best wishes,
    LightandJoy

Quote Originally Posted by LightandJoy View Post
    I wonder if you know if there are any forums suitable for this kind of question?
    No, and to be blunt if you're looking to build your business plan on the basis of free information from random strangers online that's not something I would regard as advisable.
    Hire a consultant. Bound to be some in Australia that can help you.

Have you completed a course in business management sounds like it would be a good idea, you receive guidance in the questions you are asking. Industry is not not going to set you up as competition especially in these times,
    you will be on your own. Join the Chamber of Commerce a lot of the knowledge you require will be accessible you will also need to consider trademarking your brand (lots of dollars ) otherwise two days after you launch there will knockoffs every where and
    you will have no recourse as for a golden tip no such thing the tip I will give you is it will be along hard process it will be up to you to contact manufactures and wholesalers request samples etc. etc.
    Running a business is very rewarding, but it is hard work.

I found the chamber of commerce existed to perpetuate itself and pay wages to its staff. Never got a single benefit from my year's expensive membership.
    If you've not run even a small business what you are planning is akin to trying to become a world car manufacturer armed initially with a matchbox model of a 1950s car.
    I've run a jewellery sector business which sells around the world for nearly 20 years and I would not attempt what you are planning.
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk