Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How long do your saw blades last?

China - Yes they were purchased from Cookson gold so I believe they are genuine.
    Thanks for the advice will be helpful when I make future purchases, didn’t know there were counterfeits out there!
    Last edited by dreamer; 05-01-2021 at 01:15 PM.

Dennis - not insulted at all, thank you for taking the time to reply - seems the issue is compaction.

Quote Originally Posted by dreamer View Post
    Hi ps bond,

You are right! Thank you

Having looked very closely what I thought was a blunt blade was actually compacted brass around the teeth making it smooth.

Now my question is what am I doing wrong? I used beeswax as have seen others use it on YouTube, and I normally do two or three runs along the teeth. I’ve just read somewhere to do this on the back of the blade instead, maybe that’s where I’m going wrong?

Edit - sorry I missed your last bit about applying to back of the blade too, I’ll definitely be doing this in future then

Thanks again!
    A lot of it comes down to personal preference. I don't always bother lubricating the blade, only if I feel the metal is binding on the blade. Drills I always lubricate. Cutting stone seats with burrs I usually do. Engraving I tend not to bother.

from my personal experience, and I am no way expert and suffering not perfect performance in sawing (and my blades break a lot to be honest).....I can say following - I know why :
    1) fixing blade in the saw too much or too low tension makes negative effect
    2) lubricating but not too much
    3) ANGLE of holding saw when cutting thru
    4) Pressure
    5) change of angle in the process of sawing, sawing has to be consistent
    6) Choice of blade for the metal thickness ( maybe you took too fine blade for your metal.)

so check out your way of doing it maybe this will help

Re: #6... I use 4/0 or 2/0 blades on 5mm steel. The guides on how sawblade vs thickness of metal are usually based around having a minimum of 3 teeth in the cut (and you can affect that by tilting the saw forwards too).

I messed around for well over an hour. Then concluded that any repair would not last. considering the replacement is around £12 if I get 10 more years that's not bad, and by then I'll be too decrepit to saw anything anyway.
    Department of 'life's too short'
    sorry peter
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk