Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long do your saw blades last?

Default How long do your saw blades last?

Hello first post here and so happy to have found this forum.

I知 a very new beginner and yet to take any classes, but I致e been practicing some basic sawing with silver, brass and copper. I知 finding that my saw blades are wearing out really fast and I知 not sure if this is normal or my technique is all wrong!

I just used a new 2/0 Vallorbe blade on some 0.7mm brass and it became totally blunt after about 4cm of sawing round a semi circle. Is this normal?

Thanks so much in advance!

"blunt after about 4cm of sawing round a semi circle"
    No this is not normal are you using a lubricant.

Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    "blunt after about 4cm of sawing round a semi circle"
    No this is not normal are you using a lubricant.
    Hi China,

Yes I am using a beeswax lubricant, but perhaps not enough?

I am also very cautious I don稚 press hard and let gravity and the blade do it痴 work so I知 not really pushing much at all on the saw either. I知 at a loss

Is it possible your saw teeth are packed with wax & filings? And is the blade tensioned enough?

It takes very little wax to help things - if it's needed at all; I only apply the wax to the back of the blade.

Very hard to come up with a solution, it is not one I have come across, a couple of Ideas, are you sure the blades are genuine did you buy from a reputable source, there are counterfeits of just about every thing these days and one of them is Vallorbe blades
    I have a friend in QLD who has come across them, if you were breaking them I could come with a bunch of tips, is only the Brass that you are having the problem with.
    Personally I am not a fan of beeswax it is too sticky leads to packing the teeth as Peter pointed out paraffin wax is a much better option I think.

I'm awaiting the arrival of a new saw frame as my 40+ year old one died on Sunday - handle fell off and not repairable.
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

Really not repairable? Sounds like a challenge...

Quote Originally Posted by dreamer View Post
    Hello first post here and so happy to have found this forum.
    I知 a very new beginner and yet to take any classes, but I致e been practicing some basic sawing with silver, brass and copper. I知 finding that my saw blades are wearing out really fast and I知 not sure if this is normal or my technique is all wrong!
    I just used a new 2/0 Vallorbe blade on some 0.7mm brass and it became totally blunt after about 4cm of sawing round a semi circle. Is this normalThanks so much in advance!
    Please don't be insulted by this, but it is possible in a moment of inattention to insert your saw blades the wrong way round. The teeth should be pointing downwards. Dennis.

Pity I'm in Australia Wendy, I am 100% sure I could fix it.

Hi ps bond,

You are right! Thank you

Having looked very closely what I thought was a blunt blade was actually compacted brass around the teeth making it smooth.

Now my question is what am I doing wrong? I used beeswax as have seen others use it on YouTube, and I normally do two or three runs along the teeth. I’ve just read somewhere to do this on the back of the blade instead, maybe that’s where I’m going wrong?

Edit - sorry I missed your last bit about applying to back of the blade too, I’ll definitely be doing this in future then

Thanks again!