Thread: New tools and gizmos of ‘20

Default New tools and gizmos of ‘20

Many of us have no doubt bought new tools and gizmos in ‘20. Some a great success and others just disappearing into that box under the workbench! How about sharing your successes and disappointments? Could save others the time and expense or steer on in the right direction!
    My top 3: 1. Ring Shank pliers from Walsh TP 191 £33 delivered.
    These made so much difference to forming rings...Thanks Dennis for the tip.
    2. Cooksons solder cutting pliers 999 72f £12. Quick way of cutting consistent small pieces of solder......thanks my Daughter.
    3. Bit controversial this one! A copy Foredom, a gift from a dental practice as unserviceable. An H20 copy foredom hand piece. Amazon £35. Both these needed striping and refinishing/polishing. However so far so good and have they made a difference to ease and accuracy of work!
    How about all of you?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Zona Sanding stick https://www.zonatool.net/shop/scroll...752-or-37-772/
    still evaluating but so far so good

Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    Zona Sanding stick https://www.zonatool.net/shop/scroll...752-or-37-772/
    still evaluating but so far so good
    I wrap different grades around a 300mm length of 30 x 15mm softwood, the two edges fixed continuously with masking tape. I tear off one of the four sides when necessary and have 500, 1200 and 2000 grit papers on the go. Paper grade is written on both ends of the stick. I think it was an Andrew Berry tip although I'm sure it will have been around for years.

Ian

I have been using the tried and true buffing stick method, for ever, I saw these ( this is a New Gizmos thread) and thought I would give them a try, one positive is when you a part way through a job and you are on your last strip and it tears it much simpler to just cut one strip and you are up and running again.

I made some buff sticks when I first started and they are in a bottom rawer as good as new. It dawned on me that sheet and wire were beautiful when you bought them. I try hard to preserve the profile and buffing sticks made things worse. Dennis.

I run through buff sticks quite a lot. I've tried the Zona sticks and they're OK, but the clamp isn't the greatest, which means I spend as much time adjusting them as using them.
    These, on the other hand are quite effective for small things:

https://www.riogrande.com/product/sq...g-cloth/337461

Oh, and Maun ring bending pliers have been a favourite this year.

Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    I have been using the tried and true buffing stick method, for ever, I saw these ( this is a New Gizmos thread) and thought I would give them a try, one positive is when you a part way through a job and you are on your last strip and it tears it much simpler to just cut one strip and you are up and running again.
    My New Year's resolution is to read the heading more carefully...

In the meantime, my favourite acquisition of 2020 has to be my Foredom SR and a mitre vice (early Christmas present from my wife).

Ian
    Last edited by Ianfs; 31-12-2020 at 04:35 PM.