Thread: Saying "Hello" again

Default Saying "Hello" again

Hi
    Been here before then got distracted with work and now I am looking to pick up where I left off, as a total and utter beginner.

Would like to make a basic ring and then just build up from that but first its what tools I need and how much do they cost. I do hobby watch repair so hopefully I can use some of those tools aswell.

Andy

Hi Andy,
    When confronted with an utter beginner, I always recommend the same book, which is now out of print, but can be had for a song (used) from amazon:https://www.amazon.co.uk/Jewellery-T.../dp/1840921978.

The members who see this will be yawning, but it will give you photos of the main tools, describe their uses, describe the chief techniques used, and offer simple projects for beginners.

You can also learn a lot from U tube. Here is the best of the videos for rings:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaU5acww9gc

Most of the tools you already have will serve you well here, so don't buy anything more than you need for the project in hand, Dennis.

Thanks for the advice and links.

I am pretty sure I bought that book. Time to dig it out 😉

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Hi Andy,
    When confronted with an utter beginner, I always recommend the same book, which is now out of print, but can be had for a song (used) from amazon:https://www.amazon.co.uk/Jewellery-T.../dp/1840921978.

The members who see this will be yawning, but it will give you photos of the main tools, describe their uses, describe the chief techniques used, and offer simple projects for beginners.

You can also learn a lot from U tube. Here is the best of the videos for rings:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaU5acww9gc

Most of the tools you already have will serve you well here, so don't buy anything more than you need for the project in hand, Dennis.
    Not yawning Dennis. I was going to suggest a book but I couldn’t have given the name of one it’s been such a long time!

Quote Originally Posted by TATS View Post
    Hi
    Been here before then got distracted with work and now I am looking to pick up where I left off, as a total and utter beginner.

Would like to make a basic ring and then just build up from that but first its what tools I need and how much do they cost. I do hobby watch repair so hopefully I can use some of those tools aswell.

Andy
    Welcome from another relative beginner! I came into jewellery via clock restoration as I needed a bit more possibility to express myself in an artistic way. Both of us in clocks and watches were judged on how little another could see where we had been, the less the better!
    Your tools and patience will be invaluable as will your mechanical techniques and knowledge. This bunch are really great, always willing to advise and help. Nothing is too basic nor too small.
    David (aka Ruedeleglise.)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ruedeleglise View Post
    Welcome from another relative beginner! I came into jewellery via clock restoration as I needed a bit more possibility to express myself in an artistic way. Both of us in clocks and watches were judged on how little another could see where we had been, the less the better!
    Your tools and patience will be invaluable as will your mechanical techniques and knowledge. This bunch are really great, always willing to advise and help. Nothing is too basic nor too small.

Cheers David

Just looking on the net now to see what tools I can add.

Ive spent hours trying to put a balance wheel in place hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by Ruedeleglise View Post

And there are times when a project for a complete beginner is best attempted with the help of a really good book and a few online tutorials as with the best will in the world some things just have to be shown. We are then here to advise on the problems that might arise from that