Thread: Shot!

Default Shot!

I have just bought an Evans Gold pro max from cooksons which included the polishing compound and a bag of shot. I was surprised that unlike my other shot it had spheres in it. Not only that I thought all my shot was stainless steel. I tested with a magnet and to my surprise all my shot appears not to be stainless as it was attracted by the magnet. I don’t dry my shot, as I thought it was stainless, but it has never rusted! Now I don’t know what to think! Is there a guide as to what shot, stainless or not etc where I can learn a bit more about the subject....please!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You can get magnetic shot that's stainless, that's how a magnetic pin polisher works the pins are stainless too. you can also get magnetic Platinum as well if it has cobalt in it !

Testing for stainless with a magnet is not reliable some stainless will be attracted to a magnet, some info here https://www.australwright.com.au/tec...on-resistance/

As ever....thanks! I read somewhere about the advantages of steel as opposed to stainless.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Most of the barrelling problems complained of on the forum centre around plain steel shot. Even a slight amount of rust can cause discolouration of silver, so it needs to be kept in its solution when stored (not always effective), or rinsed and spread out to dry, which is a nuisance.

A quick test, would be to put a few pieces of shot on a wet tissue overnight to see whether they will rust.

A typical selection of mixed shot will contain spheres, satellites, and needles, possibly of more than one size. The needles are there to enter recesses and tight spaces, but give rise to tiny pin pricks on flat surfaces of your work. The spheres can sometimes become firmly lodged in tubes intended for settings.

The pin prick effect can be reduced by conditioning the needles, running them with small pebbles, or even filing the points by hand. It is also reduced by using very fine shot, such as the one from creative glass https://www.creativeglassshop.co.uk/...ase=mixed+shot , and by tumbling for much longer so that the pits coalesce

You would always avoid tumbling anything which was predominately flat. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails n The  Pin Point Texture.jpg   n Sorting Shot On A Tea Tray.jpg   n The Offending Needles.jpg