Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ear wires

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Ear wires

Hello my friends. Yet further advice requested! I want to make my own ear wires (not for me personally) and have made the basic but want to add a tight spiral just above the loop and bead, as in the cooksons and many other ones. I can’t find any ready made spirals.....can one make them with fine wire and if so how can they be hardened so as not to unwind easily.
    Where would us amateur novices be without all of you?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have a reel if very thin wire, and have tried doing this but the results were not to my satisfaction.
    So I would recommend these ear hooks from Cookson below with the front very thin and elegant.

There are also alternatives at Rashbel https://www.bellorerashbel.co.uk/pro...lver+ear+wires
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Capture ear hook.JPG  

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    I have a reel if very thin wire, and have tried doing this but the results were not to my satisfaction.
    So I would recommend these ear hooks from Cookson below with the front very thin and elegant.

There are also alternatives at Rashbel https://www.bellorerashbel.co.uk/pro...lver+ear+wires
    Now that shows that you don't wear earrings Dennis. The moment you have a heavily forged area on the wire like that, you risk it travelling up into the piercing, where it cuts and irritates. Horrid. Like earwires that are made from too thin (or too thick) wire.

I have to agree, the little bit of silver gimp just makes them look cheap. There are much nicer ways to decorate an earwire and I highly recommend playing around with them.

If you don't feel like making them, come and buy some of mine. At least they're properly handmade, and most importantly, not plated like the cheap commercial imports, which are almost invariably 999 plated over 925 so they don't need to be properly polished. Many wearers who think they can't wear silver earrings have actually had a reaction to the tiny bits of plating flaking off through wear and irritating the piercing.

Many wearers who think they can't wear silver earrings have actually had a reaction to the tiny bits of plating flaking off through wear and irritating the piercing.[/QUOTE]
    Or they have American manufacture/market findings which don't comply with the EU nickel etc rules.
    An ear wire even a tiny bit bigger diameter is excruciating - agree!
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

Another illusion shattered.
    Luckily most if my earrings are studs, or suspended from studs.
    That said, from my limited experience of five family members, I have had no complaints about shape or thickness of ear hooks.
    Just one of them prefers wood, which is quite thick, but the least sensitive for her.
    Ear lobes are normally quite elastic and forgiving, so sensitivity to the thickness of wires seems to imply that there is unyielding scar tissue, as a result of the piercing. Dennis.

I could make some very rude and sexist jokes, Dennis....
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

Do you mean these ones? https://www.cooksongold.com/Findings...res&channel=uk
    If so it’s a continuation of the earwire and coiling the wire hardens it even if you choose to do a separate wire. If you do that though you’ll have 2 ends whereas if you finish off the earwire with a coil there will only be one unfinished end to neaten off

Yes. That is exactly what I wanted to make myself! If both of your preferences it to buy ready made, I guess it probably isn’t worth the time and effort to be too puritanical and try to diy! I might play around with 2 or 3 beads for fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruedeleglise View Post
    Yes. That is exactly what I wanted to make myself! If both of your preferences it to buy ready made, I guess it probably isn’t worth the time and effort to be too puritanical and try to diy! I might play around with 2 or 3 beads for fun.
    Im my opinion the kind of ear wires you're describing can be bought very cheaply and to be honest I think they make hand made earrings look cheap. Bizarrely it takes minutes to make interesting ear wires, much better to play and make something yourself I think.

Quote Originally Posted by misspond View Post
    Im my opinion the kind of ear wires you're describing can be bought very cheaply and to be honest I think they make hand made earrings look cheap. Bizarrely it takes minutes to make interesting ear wires, much better to play and make something yourself I think.
    Being a bit creative and adventurous.....I should be bold...er.