Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ear wires

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    I have a reel if very thin wire, and have tried doing this but the results were not to my satisfaction.
    So I would recommend these ear hooks from Cookson below with the front very thin and elegant.

There are also alternatives at Rashbel https://www.bellorerashbel.co.uk/pro...lver+ear+wires
    Now that shows that you don't wear earrings Dennis. The moment you have a heavily forged area on the wire like that, you risk it travelling up into the piercing, where it cuts and irritates. Horrid. Like earwires that are made from too thin (or too thick) wire.

I have to agree, the little bit of silver gimp just makes them look cheap. There are much nicer ways to decorate an earwire and I highly recommend playing around with them.

If you don't feel like making them, come and buy some of mine. At least they're properly handmade, and most importantly, not plated like the cheap commercial imports, which are almost invariably 999 plated over 925 so they don't need to be properly polished. Many wearers who think they can't wear silver earrings have actually had a reaction to the tiny bits of plating flaking off through wear and irritating the piercing.

Many wearers who think they can't wear silver earrings have actually had a reaction to the tiny bits of plating flaking off through wear and irritating the piercing.[/QUOTE]
    Or they have American manufacture/market findings which don't comply with the EU nickel etc rules.
    An ear wire even a tiny bit bigger diameter is excruciating - agree!
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

Another illusion shattered.
    Luckily most if my earrings are studs, or suspended from studs.
    That said, from my limited experience of five family members, I have had no complaints about shape or thickness of ear hooks.
    Just one of them prefers wood, which is quite thick, but the least sensitive for her.
    Ear lobes are normally quite elastic and forgiving, so sensitivity to the thickness of wires seems to imply that there is unyielding scar tissue, as a result of the piercing. Dennis.

I could make some very rude and sexist jokes, Dennis....
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

When making ear wires and pins do you go for 0.8mm or slightly thicker? I'm torn between making sure they are comfortable but not looking cheap.

I'm sensitive to sterling silver, I can wear them for a while then my piercings start to weep, then I do too Argentium has solved the problem for me, that's what i wear most of the time and this year i even managed to get several jewellers to make me argentium ear wires for their designs; which has been so appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by TDA20 View Post
    When making ear wires and pins do you go for 0.8mm or slightly thicker? I'm torn between making sure they are comfortable but not looking cheap.
    I usually use 0.8mm, it's the standard thickness. But 0.9mm could probably be used too. 1mm would be too thick for a lot of people.

So far only 0.8mm. I have some 0.8mm drilled silver beads 2.5 diameter so will play about with these.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Aesthetically I find the coil and bead wires look quite cheap, sorry:/ it’s the sort of wires you see on costume jewellery in High St shops and they are always really thin which doesn’t help. It’s possible to make really interesting wires quite easily for handmade jewellery and if you want standard I’d buy them.
    I use .8 or .9 but there was a discussion recently on a professional group on fb and they vehemently said no bigger than .8. I’ve never had complaints from any of my customers about .9 but maybe it’s an age related thing as well

Times seem to have changed for some reason, I always used .9 wire although the trend now seems to be .8, personally I do not believe 99% of those wearing them could tell the difference