Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ear wires

Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    Times seem to have changed for some reason, I always used .9 wire although the trend now seems to be .8, personally I do not believe 99% of those wearing them could tell the difference
    That’s what I feel Bob, .9 is my preference but I’ve been guilt tripped by my peers! Maybe when newly pierced it will be obvious but in relation to the years of wearing some heavy earrings that shouldn’t have gone into piercings I’ve seen some awful lobes that could have taken 1.5 at least!

Thanks Sheen, Ruedeleglise, Caroline and Bob. I was taught to never user thinner than 0.9mm but have felt pressured by those same FB posts to use 0.8mm. Maybe I'll just use 0.9mm and see if anyone notices... ��.

Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    Times seem to have changed for some reason, I always used .9 wire although the trend now seems to be .8, personally I do not believe 99% of those wearing them could tell the difference
    I can tell the difference, and these are in piercings that are forty years old. I'm told that there is a difference depending on how the original piercing was done and where, but I cannot wear anything above 0.8 or below 0.7 comfortably.

My understanding is that 'gun' piercings are the most likely to be sensitive, followed by doctor's surgery/old fashioned jeweller needle ones, with modern hollow needle (piercing studio) ones the most able to tolerate wider gauges - not least because they're pierced wider to start with.

Argentium's great for making wires, but must be properly hardened - it's way too soft without both heat and forging.

I pierced my elder daughters ears using a sterilised darning needle and a cork behind the lobe. I had researched the best “stabbing”site and sprayed the lobe with lidocaine a topical anaesthetic. She wore gold keepers for a number of weeks. No probs......35 years ago! Daughter number 2 wouldn’t let me do it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Default Oh yes

Quote Originally Posted by misspond View Post
    Im my opinion the kind of ear wires you're describing can be bought very cheaply and to be honest I think they make hand made earrings look cheap. Bizarrely it takes minutes to make interesting ear wires, much better to play and make something yourself I think.
    101% with you there
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Ruedeleglise View Post
    I pierced my elder daughters ears using a sterilised darning needle and a cork behind the lobe. I had researched the best “stabbing”site and sprayed the lobe with lidocaine a topical anaesthetic. She wore gold keepers for a number of weeks. No probs......35 years ago! Daughter number 2 wouldn’t let me do it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I don’t have pierced ears but it used to be done a lot like that if you weren’t near a jeweller

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    I can tell the difference, and these are in piercings that are forty years old. I'm told that there is a difference depending on how the original piercing was done and where, but I cannot wear anything above 0.8 or below 0.7 comfortably.

My understanding is that 'gun' piercings are the most likely to be sensitive, followed by doctor's surgery/old fashioned jeweller needle ones, with modern hollow needle (piercing studio) ones the most able to tolerate wider gauges - not least because they're pierced wider to start with.

Argentium's great for making wires, but must be properly hardened - it's way too soft without both heat and forging.
    That's interesting, because mine are diameter sensitive and mine are also around 40 years old - gun method. I had some findings which were very elegant, the hook flowed into a sort of lily flower shape but no-one could wear them because the loop had been turned so that 0.93 was at the piercing. It HURT! (I adjusted the loop and all was good btw)
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk