Thread: laser cutting

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default laser cutting

Hi all,
    Been having fun with a new toy (cheapo laser cutter)
    a few pairs of earring experiments.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_5241.jpg   IMG_5242.jpg   IMG_5217.jpg   IMG_5218.jpg   IMG_5233.jpg  

Tell us more Rich! How cheap and what materials can it do?

Hello Caroline,
    I paid £ 200 for the machine on gumtree , its one of those 40w Chinese made ones. The earrings in the images are 3mm acrylic , cuts easily. 3mm mdf also cuts easily. I have experimented with 2mm thick leather with varying degrees of success.
    p.s I know £200 is not peanuts , but a 'proper' machine is thousands.
    Cheers,
    Richard.

That's a stunning result. Are there safety concerns? Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    That's a stunning result. Are there safety concerns? Dennis.
    Hi Dennis,
    Yes there can be potential safety concerns using these machines but I suppose same as any workshop machinery. I think it's just a matter of taking adequate precautions ,ppe fume extraction ,ventilation etc.
    Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by RichL View Post
    Hello Caroline,
    I paid £ 200 for the machine on gumtree , its one of those 40w Chinese made ones. The earrings in the images are 3mm acrylic , cuts easily. 3mm mdf also cuts easily. I have experimented with 2mm thick leather with varying degrees of success.
    p.s I know £200 is not peanuts , but a 'proper' machine is thousands.
    Cheers,
    Richard.
    The precision seems great. A friend who was an art teacher in a high school said one day oh our technicians could cut that for you with the laser cutter.What laser cutter, what technicians in an art dept.
    One that cut metal would be my preference but that’s a different matter!

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    The precision seems great. A friend who was an art teacher in a high school said one day oh our technicians could cut that for you with the laser cutter.What laser cutter, what technicians in an art dept.
    One that cut metal would be my preference but that’s a different matter!
    If it is computer-controlled, for me it does throw up the whole debate on craft. The results are very impressive but my pleasure in both creating and appreciating the work of others is in the creation by hand. At what point does something not become art? After all, the original needs to be designed. Also, is the work of Rembrandt and other greats lessened by the chunks carried out by assistants? And what is the difference between a disc or star cut by a laser compared with a disc cutter and hammer? I really don’t know.
    I am a retired architect and worked with one of the first firm to use CAD. It was a godsend in the creation and amending of drawings but the building of the final result was by the craft of bricklayers, joiners, decorators etc. Of course, prefabrication is becoming more extensive. Again, the craft is in the original design work.
    Where are these thoughts going in respect of a laser cutter? I’m not sure. It certainly has its place in the workshop and I would love to know your thoughts.
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Ianfs View Post
    If it is computer-controlled, for me it does throw up the whole debate on craft. The results are very impressive but my pleasure in both creating and appreciating the work of others is in the creation by hand. At what point does something not become art? After all, the original needs to be designed. Also, is the work of Rembrandt and other greats lessened by the chunks carried out by assistants? And what is the difference between a disc or star cut by a laser compared with a disc cutter and hammer? I really don’t know.
    I am a retired architect and worked with one of the first firm to use CAD. It was a godsend in the creation and amending of drawings but the building of the final result was by the craft of bricklayers, joiners, decorators etc. Of course, prefabrication is becoming more extensive. Again, the craft is in the original design work.
    Where are these thoughts going in respect of a laser cutter? I’m not sure. It certainly has its place in the workshop and I would love to know your thoughts.
    Ian
    I have just reread this and I hope I have not give offence to the original post. The pieces shown are beautiful.
    Ian