Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What am I missing?

[QUOTE=Ruedeleglise;110137]Following on from the foredom sr discussion I have looked on eBay and they appear to sell what I assume, probably quite erroneously is a full kit of motor shaft and hand piece for around £80....but in cooksons the price is £200 plus! What the h++k am I missing? If it looks too good to be true, it probably is!

NOt necessarily. It may just be that you are purchasing something from higher up the chain of supply. Every time something goes through another business the price will double. Which is why it is always a good idea to source as close to the origin as possible.
    I have purchased plenty of tools from China - including in the last month a two head pearl drill and it is better than anything available here.
    If you look on sites such as aliexpress you will undoubtedly find what you seek, and it may not even be an imitation, just a device which does all the same stuff. Keep an open mind.
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

Ah well...got the ex dental pendant motor etc. In fact it is hardly marked, only used twice! It was actually for the dental mechanic for false teeth! Very Chinese,it fits where it hits but after a bit of polishing it went together and works. The hand set in not quick change and the Chuck key has Foredom on it ! Cant complain and I am not looking a gift horse in the mouth......but it sure ain’t a foredom!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    I don't know if it's any help, but I'm very seriously considering selling my (very genuine) SR, as well as a couple of extra handpieces and a hammer handpiece. I don't think I use it enough to justify hanging on to it any more and it's in perfect condition. I just haven't got round to taking pictures and listing. Give me a shout if this might be of interest?
    Hi George - just seen this. Does your SR have the quick release hand pieces? I may be interested if the price is right! I currently have an Axminster pendant but no quick release which I find a pain. I just use it with a split mandrel for sanding rings which is a waste really. I use my hand held Proxxon drill for everything else, with a drill stand as necessary. Let me know when you get round to it. Thanks

Default What am I missing?

Have been using the ex dental appliance pendant drill all day. The control and power are both wonderful. The only annoyance is the hand piece which is ok in itself but a pain to change tools on. It looks a total replica of the foredom and the Chuck key even has a hooky foredom stamp on it. So I am tempted to buy a real foredom quick change hand piece. If it doesn’t fit then at least I will have it for when I inevitably in the future go and buy the real thing. Do you think I am an idiot or is it worth the gamble?

Quote Originally Posted by Ruedeleglise View Post
    Have been using the ex dental appliance pendant drill all day. The control and power are both wonderful. The only annoyance is the hand piece which is ok in itself but a pain to change tools on. It looks a total replica of the foredom and the Chuck key even has a hooky foredom stamp on it. So I am tempted to buy a real foredom quick change hand piece. If it doesn’t fit then at least I will have it for when I inevitably in the future go and buy the real thing. Do you think I am an idiot or is it worth the gamble?

I can't help feeling you already know the answer! The only thing to check is whether any new hand piece is available in your flex shaft fitting and that new motors will be available where you live. I had no idea what I was getting from Cooksons when I ordered mine but I assume they stock both.

Ian

That's great you're getting on well with the ex dental appliance! That's pretty clever! I'm not technical regarding trying the foredom handpiece and there are different ones. Maybe check on you tube about how they fit and you might be able to tell if it will fit your machine. The handpiece I have has shaft shaped to fit a letter C if that makes sense. I just sent a reply to the other thread letting you know my verdict so far. The dremel worked fine for me but since it was my second one, I just thought I'd try the Foredom really.

I have spent all this morning re-engineering /finishing the business end of my Chinese ex denture drill! I have found out why it was discarded by the dental mechanic......he couldn’t change the hand piece....he found the Chuck mechanism a total bind. I am not surprised! I had to ream out one part of the hand piece having taken the flex shaft out...forcibly. The inside of the tube was as rough as a badgers ####! Also the circular retaining spring was way too tight. Luckily doing clock restoration I have all the tools and experience. It now works like a dream. The Chuck was just a matter of making the cut out in the hand piece smooth so the Chuck didn’t bind. I have made a simple hanger from bits I had in my outside workshop! Well we will see how it all performs! Think I have found the correct H20 hand piece.....we will see!

Quote Originally Posted by Ruedeleglise View Post
    I have spent all this morning re-engineering /finishing the business end of my Chinese ex denture drill! I have found out why it was discarded by the dental mechanic......he couldn’t change the hand piece....he found the Chuck mechanism a total bind. I am not surprised! I had to ream out one part of the hand piece having taken the flex shaft out...forcibly. The inside of the tube was as rough as a badgers ####! Also the circular retaining spring was way too tight. Luckily doing clock restoration I have all the tools and experience. It now works like a dream. The Chuck was just a matter of making the cut out in the hand piece smooth so the Chuck didn’t bind. I have made a simple hanger from bits I had in my outside workshop! Well we will see how it all performs! Think I have found the correct H20 hand piece.....we will see!

Delighted you have restored it. As for clock restoration, I have so much respect. I love watching Steve Fletcher work his magic on The Repair Shop.
    Ian

Nearly hoisted but my own petard!
    Riding on the crest of the wave after my success with the refinement of the chinky foredom I splashed out on the same origin h20 hand piece. Again refinishing was easy and was a matter of taking it to bits, polishing and reassembly. The big surprise came when I decided to turn down the shafts of the rotary tools of which I had handfuls of the much larger diameter shafts. I don’t know what grade the steel they use but I had terrible trouble reducing them down to 2.34mm. My workshop needed no heating for those 2 hours or so! However all is well that ends well, I now have a seemingly very serviceable hooky foredom copy and tools, and I saved money!!!.....as long as it continues to work as it does at present. To all my friends on this forum, I hope you have a very pleasant time over Christmas...Bonnes fêtes.