Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What am I missing?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default What am I missing?

Following on from the foredom sr discussion I have looked on eBay and they appear to sell what I assume, probably quite erroneously is a full kit of motor shaft and hand piece for around £80....but in cooksons the price is £200 plus! What the h++k am I missing? If it looks too good to be true, it probably is!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ruedeleglise View Post
    Following on from the foredom sr discussion I have looked on eBay and they appear to sell what I assume, probably quite erroneously is a full kit of motor shaft and hand piece for around £80....but in cooksons the price is £200 plus! What the h++k am I missing? If it looks too good to be true, it probably is!

Hi, these are Chinese knock-offs. I think I recall Andrew Berry has had something to say about these sorts of tools and I have read somewhere of an unfavourable comparison between them and the real ones.

Heavens! They even have the same transfers.......

Yes, Ebay seem to be quite shameless about this, but when they arrive, it might be from China and require payment of customs and clearance fees.. There will be no Foredom aftercare, and Foredom accessories might need some adjustment to fit.
    However if you are a gambling man, you might find it works well enough. Dennis.

Just this minute I have watched Andrew Berry on flex shafts etc. Yes if it is too good to be true....in this case price....then it probably is. What a con! I will save up just hoping my old dremel doesn’t explode too soon! Thanks for both your comments. At least I smelt the rat!

My 2cents worth, I prefer to refer to the knockoffs as "counterfeit" which is what they truly are, which equates to intellectual theft, buying them aids this, and from experience they are rubbish, (I was sold one as genuine)
    Customs should trash them at the border.
    I have no problem with the production of a similar item at a cheaper price (you get what you pay for)

Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    My 2cents worth, I prefer to refer to the knockoffs as "counterfeit" which is what they truly are, which equates to intellectual theft, buying them aids this, and from experience they are rubbish, (I was sold one as genuine)
    Customs should trash them at the border.
    I have no problem with the production of a similar item at a cheaper price (you get what you pay for)
    I feel the same about counterfeit Bob . That and asking a jeweller to make something exactly the same as the item in the picture they give you

I don't know if it's any help, but I'm very seriously considering selling my (very genuine) SR, as well as a couple of extra handpieces and a hammer handpiece. I don't think I use it enough to justify hanging on to it any more and it's in perfect condition. I just haven't got round to taking pictures and listing. Give me a shout if this might be of interest?

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    I don't know if it's any help, but I'm very seriously considering selling my (very genuine) SR, as well as a couple of extra handpieces and a hammer handpiece. I don't think I use it enough to justify hanging on to it any more and it's in perfect condition. I just haven't got round to taking pictures and listing. Give me a shout if this might be of interest?
    Hi George - just seen this. Does your SR have the quick release hand pieces? I may be interested if the price is right! I currently have an Axminster pendant but no quick release which I find a pain. I just use it with a split mandrel for sanding rings which is a waste really. I use my hand held Proxxon drill for everything else, with a drill stand as necessary. Let me know when you get round to it. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ruedeleglise View Post
    Just this minute I have watched Andrew Berry on flex shafts etc. Yes if it is too good to be true....in this case price....then it probably is. What a con! I will save up just hoping my old dremel doesn’t explode too soon! Thanks for both your comments. At least I smelt the rat!

That’s what I was about to say and always check the spelling! You will rarely find a genuine Foredom on eBay unless it is second hand or a Chinese knock off
    Last edited by CJ57; 13-12-2020 at 05:31 PM.