Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dremel 4000 blowing up

Thank you all for your comments. I'm new to these sort of forums so I'm not sure if you all get notified of this new message I'm now writing. Yes, I suppose I went for the Dremel again as it's what I know and I was in a bit of rush and it was easy to just order quickly based on needing it this week to finish off Christmas orders without adding a load time on my manually buffing with emery boards etc but I would have researched if I had time. It's great that some of you have recommended the Foredom as maybe I wouldn't have stumbled across this. I'm thinking I may order one of these in any case...

I googled it and found the "Foredom Motor SR - Pendant/Hang-up with Flexshaft" which I'm guessing is the one you're mentioning. Do these tend to last a lot longer than the dremel? I'm a little rubbish with new tools like this but guessing you can still buy the necessary chucks or whatever to hold whatever sized mandrels you need.

Thank you so much for your help x

Quote Originally Posted by Loulou View Post
    Thank you all for your comments. I'm new to these sort of forums so I'm not sure if you all get notified of this new message I'm now writing. Yes, I suppose I went for the Dremel again as it's what I know and I was in a bit of rush and it was easy to just order quickly based on needing it this week to finish off Christmas orders without adding a load time on my manually buffing with emery boards etc but I would have researched if I had time. It's great that some of you have recommended the Foredom as maybe I wouldn't have stumbled across this. I'm thinking I may order one of these in any case...

I googled it and found the "Foredom Motor SR - Pendant/Hang-up with Flexshaft" which I'm guessing is the one you're mentioning. Do these tend to last a lot longer than the dremel? I'm a little rubbish with new tools like this but guessing you can still buy the necessary chucks or whatever to hold whatever sized mandrels you need.

Thank you so much for your help x
    The Foredom is designed as a workhorse and advocated by many professionals. Do check though whether the chuck will accept the accessories you need it to.
    All the best
    Ian

I have a friend in QLD, she has inherited a Foredom SR that belonged to her father (full time Manufacturing jeweller) it has been going for at least 25 yrs, it has had 2 sets of brushes only in that time, the Foredom will outlast the Dremel many times over

Quote Originally Posted by Ianfs View Post
    I bought the Foredom SR with the H20 quick release handpiece. If your drill bits and burrs have varying shank diameters, then the H30 with chuck key might be necessary but it's a bit chunkier in the hand. You can buy the SR with an accessory pack on rotating stand thrown in, most of which are useful. I love it!
    Ian
    Ian. Thanks for that . I have got so many odd sized tools so I guess the H30 may be the best bet. Or have a clean sweep!
    New Years present I recon!
    David

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Since my original post and all of your helpful replies, I've now purchased a Foredom SR. Looking forward to using it! Thanks again!

Tell us how you get on! I am just a little bit envious.....to say the least.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes I will. It should arrive in time for me to use this week so I'll let you know!

Quote Originally Posted by Loulou View Post
    Yes I will. It should arrive in time for me to use this week so I'll let you know!
    Lou, if you’re not blown away by it, I shall be very surprised. Have fun with it!
    Ian

haha well hopefully it will blow me away rather than blow up lol
    Thanks Ian! I've bought the double stand thing too but there's mixed reviews on this...hoping it will hold up. Will see!

Hello, my foredom arrived today.
    I got the quick release Foredom SR and the stand too as the foredom is quite a bit heavier than the Dremel I had and seems to need a sturdier stand but each and everyone to their own.
    I was slightly baffled how to set it up but once I figured it out, re-read the instructions and watched some you tube videos it was fine. It was actually pretty straight forward, I'm just not great with a list of instructions at first. haha.
    I'm getting used to the foot pedal and controlling the speed this way. It's much better than having to switch it on and off each time. I thought I might end up wanting to get the table top speed control but I think I will be fine with just the foot pedal, you get used to it. The quick release hand piece is really handy and easy to use. I think the foredom is quieter than the dremel and generally just feels smoother and glides nicely. It's doing a good job, so far so good. I prefer it to my Dremel but having said that, I was OK using the Dremel, I just fancied seeing how I got on with this. I suppose both get you from A to B. Fingers crossed this lasts a while!