Thread: Is This Royl Mail's Best Kept Secret?

Default Is This Royl Mail's Best Kept Secret?

For Years I have gone to the post office, to post large letters and small packets.
    Only recently did I discover that you can pay your postage on line, and receive a printable label and also a customs declaration where necessary.
    You even get a small discount when doing so. No one has ever mentioned this on the forum either. https://send.royalmail.com/
    Dennis.

I think it’s been around a long time Dennis and the reason I don’t use it is because I’d need to open up the laptop instead of the iPad and then go out to the cold place to fire up the printer. The printer is one of those electronic ones that trundles through all its intricacies for 5 mins and then tells you there is a problem! I’m sure there is a little man in there who is set to mansplain to me.
    Staff in Post Offices rarely tell you anything of use I have found but I get OH to do my posting

I've used it for a long time - saves queuing in the horrible PO (which is now in our useless WHS rather than being a proper one) and mean I don't have to worry about always having the right sorts of stamps. I don't use a label printer, but just print onto A4 sheets on my normal laser printer. I don't think it's any cheaper, but it's certainly a great deal easier! I use the click and drop version rather than the business one because everyone I know that has it seems to have had issues with billing and things not being properly scanned in when they need tracking.

I haven't tried their pickup service because I think it makes most things far too expensive, added to the fact that our local posties aren't very reliable. Their parcel service is already too much compared to other couriers (who don't charge to pick up) but most of my stuff is large letter anyway, and I don't want to have to increase my p&p costs any more than I already have. Especially with postage prices going up again in January.

It's something I'm aware of but don't use as most of my items can be sent via a large letter stamp in a small PIP box. One of the shops on my way to and from my day job has a Post Office inside so it's easy enough to just call in and pick up a load of Large Letter stamps.

My small parcel to mainland Europe cost £4.90 on line. At the post office it would have been £5.11: a small saving, but more significant if you had several to post. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    My small parcel to mainland Europe cost £4.90 on line. At the post office it would have been £5.11: a small saving, but more significant if you had several to post. Dennis.
    That’s useful to know Dennis. I have never thought to check. Mind you, if you factor in fuel and time getting to the PO, without even thinking about queuing time, the saving goes up. On the other hand, I do worry about machines/computers replacing humans, although at our main PO in Newbury, we often don’t have a choice and are herded towards the self-service machines.
    Ian