Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wax carving

Default Wax carving

Bought a wax carving kit from cooksons on black Friday. Finding it quite entertaining though taking away material is very differant from anything I've done before. This is my little bird yet to be separated from the block.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201205_130425_compress25.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	34.7 KB 
ID:	12778

Thinking of leaving it rough. If I got 4 or 5 copies i assume the shrinkage would be negligible. I also carved a ring but I found all the cutting and filing hard going/ a bit too much for me. I'm wanting to add some 0.8mm wire detail to that one. Is it best to add it in wax or solder on after casting. Was trying to figure out how the heck I could do wire in wax!

Hi Sheena, this looks like fun.

You can also add wax by melting a little on the end of a carver, using a very small flame from your mini-torch, or simply with your heat pen and dripping it on.

Shrinkage when casting this little bird would hardly be noticed, but always keep one master, or a miscast could destroy your record.

You can buy wax wires to be manipulated when warm:https://www.bellorerashbel.co.uk/wax-wire. Soldering wire to a casting can be frustrating, as being slightly porous, it can soak up solder rather than attach the wire.

On the same page I also found this chain of videos all on wax carving https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F320TF8fu4k.

Skip the ads, and one follows another.Dennis

That looks fun and rather less stressful than anything I have to finish

Thanks Dennis, just watched some of the videos. can learn a lot just from watching someone going through the process of making something i was intending to just solder my cast bird onto ring bands and into earrings. does the porosity mean it would be better for me to make the whole thing in wax? the ring band i have planned is just going to be a simple round wire. the earrings are going to have a block for the bird to sit on and a jumpring on the birds back.

it is fun caroline but i found the ring making really exhausting because of the amount of filing down you have to do. so making another ring will only be done on special occasions i think cookson's kit is a pretty good way to go about it as i didn't have to figure out what i would need and you can add to it if you develop a passion for it. i think i would find silver clay somewhat easier though, is i have worked with fimo in the past and you can get the shape you want really quickly (but i'd need a kiln and that put me off). I'm planning to just continue pottering with it, not try too hard and see what happens. As usual I'm probably being a little overambitious
    Last edited by Sheen; 05-12-2020 at 03:35 PM.

It’s not as if we don’t have the time. I’m just frustrated with myself that I can’t get my head round finishing the 13 or so pieces I abandoned in March even though new resins arrived this week

You will succeed if you sweat solder the bird on, by sweating some solder onto the non porous part (the wire shank) and then re-heating in contact with the casting (the bird)

There is no need to use hard solder for that. Easy will be fine, and you could solder it onto the join of the shank so hiding the join. Dennis.

Might be worth starting something new first, caroline. I find it difficult to get going with things that have been sitting a while and often it's easier to create something spontaneously then go back to half finished things afterwards.

Thanks Dennis. I'm sucking up all this info. Just about to go and look at bellores wires as well

Quote Originally Posted by Sheen View Post
    Might be worth starting something new first, caroline. I find it difficult to get going with things that have been sitting a while and often it's easier to create something spontaneously then go back to half finished things afterwards.
    I agree with Sheena Caroline, maybe have a go at something new that you know you can easily achieve. Maybe have a workshop tidy? I find that really theraputic when I can't seem to get anywhere with outstanding things on the bench..

This wax carving malarky looks interesting...

Don't get too disheartened Caroline, just give yourself a break from it and you'll get your mojo back. Mine is back and its been away a while, but now a happy bunny making etc.
    Jules