Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Tripoli problem

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    76

    Default Tripoli problem

    I am finding I get a light dusting of Tripoli over my worktop and tools. Does that mean I am using too much? I do get a little build up of black that disappears after a short while.

    Can anyone help me with a product to clean the brown dust off as it smears when wiped or is this something I'm going to have to live with? Alternately, is there a cleaner product you would recommend for a pre-polish and if so, can I continue to use rouge?

    Thank you in advance

    Ian

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    2,955

    Default

    That’s the joys of polishing Ian. Even with extraction I have a fine layer of polishing compound . Strangely even if I haven’t used the polisher for 9 months which has happened this still happens

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Central London
    Posts
    8,217

    Default

    The first line of defence is a hood to fit your polishing lathe. Even a primitive one made from a box will catch a significant amount of splatter.

    For a pendant motor, working inside a cut down, transparent water container will do it.

    Here is Moleroda's solution: https://www.polishingjewellery.co.uk...action-system/ Dennis

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    76

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    The first line of defence is a hood to fit your polishing lathe. Even a primitive one made from a box will catch a significant amount of splatter.

    For a pendant motor, working inside a cut down, transparent water container will do it.

    Here is Moleroda's solution: https://www.polishingjewellery.co.uk...action-system/ Dennis
    Thanks Dennis, I shall get to work on a DIY version as you suggest for my pendant motor. The Moleroda solutions look good but rather expensive for what they are. I guess there is not the volume of production to keep costs down.

    All the best

    Ian

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    South Australia
    Posts
    1,482

    Default

    Depends on weather your main concern is breathing in the the dust or just keeping the are clean the Moleroda's system will only keep the the local surface relatively clean, if you wish to keep the particles from the air technicaly it depends on the area you are attempting to keep clean, without the calculation a local dust hood on a polishing motor would require Appr.200 CFM through a HEPA filter, A household vaccume when connected to a hose will not even come close to that.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    East Anglian
    Posts
    316

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    Depends on weather your main concern is breathing in the the dust or just keeping the are clean the Moleroda's system will only keep the the local surface relatively clean, if you wish to keep the particles from the air technicaly it depends on the area you are attempting to keep clean, without the calculation a local dust hood on a polishing motor would require Appr.200 CFM through a HEPA filter, A household vaccume when connected to a hose will not even come close to that.
    So the burning question remains. Is the dust in “moderation” (but what is in moderation?) a hazard to health like many other dusts. I suppose...avoid and / or minimise as much as is practically possible. Next job: make a hood / extractor.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    76

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    That’s the joys of polishing Ian. Even with extraction I have a fine layer of polishing compound . Strangely even if I haven’t used the polisher for 9 months which has happened this still happens
    Thanks Caroline, it just goes to show what is lingering in the atmosphere. I work in a spare bedroom, so need to address the problem!

    Stay safe and sane

    Ian

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •