Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tripoli problem

Default Tripoli problem

I am finding I get a light dusting of Tripoli over my worktop and tools. Does that mean I am using too much? I do get a little build up of black that disappears after a short while.

Can anyone help me with a product to clean the brown dust off as it smears when wiped or is this something I'm going to have to live with? Alternately, is there a cleaner product you would recommend for a pre-polish and if so, can I continue to use rouge?

Thank you in advance

Ian

That’s the joys of polishing Ian. Even with extraction I have a fine layer of polishing compound . Strangely even if I haven’t used the polisher for 9 months which has happened this still happens

The first line of defence is a hood to fit your polishing lathe. Even a primitive one made from a box will catch a significant amount of splatter.

For a pendant motor, working inside a cut down, transparent water container will do it.

Here is Moleroda's solution: https://www.polishingjewellery.co.uk...action-system/ Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    That’s the joys of polishing Ian. Even with extraction I have a fine layer of polishing compound . Strangely even if I haven’t used the polisher for 9 months which has happened this still happens
    Thanks Caroline, it just goes to show what is lingering in the atmosphere. I work in a spare bedroom, so need to address the problem!

Stay safe and sane

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    The first line of defence is a hood to fit your polishing lathe. Even a primitive one made from a box will catch a significant amount of splatter.

For a pendant motor, working inside a cut down, transparent water container will do it.

Here is Moleroda's solution: https://www.polishingjewellery.co.uk...action-system/ Dennis
    Thanks Dennis, I shall get to work on a DIY version as you suggest for my pendant motor. The Moleroda solutions look good but rather expensive for what they are. I guess there is not the volume of production to keep costs down.

All the best

Ian

Depends on weather your main concern is breathing in the the dust or just keeping the are clean the Moleroda's system will only keep the the local surface relatively clean, if you wish to keep the particles from the air technicaly it depends on the area you are attempting to keep clean, without the calculation a local dust hood on a polishing motor would require Appr.200 CFM through a HEPA filter, A household vaccume when connected to a hose will not even come close to that.

Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    Depends on weather your main concern is breathing in the the dust or just keeping the are clean the Moleroda's system will only keep the the local surface relatively clean, if you wish to keep the particles from the air technicaly it depends on the area you are attempting to keep clean, without the calculation a local dust hood on a polishing motor would require Appr.200 CFM through a HEPA filter, A household vaccume when connected to a hose will not even come close to that.
    So the burning question remains. Is the dust in “moderation” (but what is in moderation?) a hazard to health like many other dusts. I suppose...avoid and / or minimise as much as is practically possible. Next job: make a hood / extractor.

I'm going to recommend the book on 'polishing and finishing' by master polisher Stephen Goldsmith. It covers all the polishing issues, including safety.
    http://www.goldpolishing.co.uk/Steph..._FIPG_MNGG.htm
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by pearlescence View Post
    I'm going to recommend the book on 'polishing and finishing' by master polisher Stephen Goldsmith. It covers all the polishing issues, including safety.
    http://www.goldpolishing.co.uk/Steph..._FIPG_MNGG.htm
    My family always buy presents for each other that we need/want rather than just guess. Stephen Goldsmith's book was on my list sent out a couple of weeks ago. I hadn't thought at the time about dust problems so I am pleased to see that it covers that subject as well!

All the best

Ian
    Last edited by Ianfs; 29-11-2020 at 10:42 AM. Reason: Sign off

Quote Originally Posted by Ruedeleglise View Post
    So the burning question remains. Is the dust in “moderation” (but what is in moderation?) a hazard to health like many other dusts. I suppose...avoid and / or minimise as much as is practically possible. Next job: make a hood / extractor.
    It's more of a nuisance giving some things a faint brown dusting. I use my recently purchased Foredom in reverse mode and polish in the direction of my apron. I do charge the mop on my bench so that may be the main source of the problem.

All the best

Ian