Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Soldering Decoration to settings

Default Soldering Decoration to settings

I have three slightly differant questions to ask you lovely folks this morning.

The first concerns soldering gallery wire to the outside of a plain bezel wall. I'd like to solder the bearer into a hoop then put it over the bezel but where and how do I put my solder (to get it to flow around all those delicate lacy patterned bits).

Secondly to want to solder a bit of fancy gallery on the edge of a plain strip of bezel wire to make a taller bezel setting. How to do this well? Do a need to use binding wire perhaps or maybe pin the two pieces side by side?

Thirdly I'm putting some granules and decorative shapes on a backplate around a bezel. Is the best way to put a tiny piece of solder next to each piece then solder them all. I have read a technique where you can file solder over granules so the dust melts when heated.

Hope you can all give me your words of wisdom

Dear Sheena, your unusual questions all centre around how to solder something in the neatest possible way.
    The only thing is to do the repeated and long winded experiments, maybe partly with copper until you find the best answer.
    Your questions are no longer commonplace, and you need to decide how much time you are prepared to devote for an acceptable result or possible failure.

My immediate reaction would be to find gallery wires which can be used alone in place of bezel strip, or to contour and perforate bezel strip to imitate gallery wire. Dennis.

First question if I understand it correctly , I would sweat solder
    Second question really really carefully, I think it would be a major PIA
    Third question I have seen it done using the fusing method although I have never done it myself

Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    First question if I understand it correctly , I would sweat solder
    Second question really really carefully, I think it would be a major PIA
    Third question I have seen it done using the fusing method although I have never done it myself
    I’m watching with interest. In the meantime, I had to Google the acronym for PIA. I’ve discovered my current making of a hinged lid for a pill box is being a right Pakistan International Airline!

I’ve never used it but always thought gallery wire was a stand alone for bezels and not soldered on top

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    I’ve never used it but always thought gallery wire was a stand alone for bezels and not soldered on top
    That's my (limited) understanding too. The only time I used it, I fould it hard to resolve the pattern with the circumference of the cab I was setting. I rolled it as much as I could, then disguised the mismatch (or should that be mishap) with the bale.

On the matter of the PIA of my hinge, I now have a happy face :-)

There's an article on The Bench from 2019 about bezel wire, quite an interesting read . It says don't be afraid to layer your bezel and gallery wire, but doesn't tell you how. https://www.cooksongold.com/blog/jew...-your-settings
    I have seen it in a few ring designs but it's not common. Maybe something the Americans do more? I'm being influenced by american artisan jewellers at the moment through being on Instagram. They generally use a lot more metal and are much bolder in their artisanal designs than the brits. The brits generally tend to prefer a clean finish high on perfect technique. (I bought a ring from one lady that looks like it's been run over by a truck she's highly skilled but that's the look). I think maybe the Americans sell through more craft based outlets than in the UK.
    Dennis ah managed to ask something a bit differant for a change! Normally us beginners all ask the same things all the time, hee, hee.
    Last edited by Sheen; 21-11-2020 at 08:02 PM.

China thankyou for reminding me about sweat soldering I keep forgetting that's an option.

With granules I've used paste solder before, it helps those little suckers stick where I want them. Depends how large your ganules are I suppose. I've seen people make a "seat" with a small ball burr and then place a tiny bit of solder in the divot and then the granule on top of that but they were quite large granules, and have seen another jeweller use spit to keep her filed solder dust and granules where she wants them.

These are some rings I made using solder paste to place the bronze granules where I wanted them. There's more than one way to skin a cat and all that.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ornate stacking rings.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	23.0 KB 
ID:	12760

I didn’t see the bit about granules. I use paste as well but I take off the excess with a wooden cocktail stick otherwise you can get a sort of filigree of excess melted solder which doesn’t look good