Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Soldering Decoration to settings

Quote Originally Posted by misspond View Post
    With granules I've used paste solder before, it helps those little suckers stick where I want them. Depends how large your ganules are I suppose. I've seen people make a "seat" with a small ball burr and then place a tiny bit of solder in the divot and then the granule on top of that but they were quite large granules, and have seen another jeweller use spit to keep her filed solder dust and granules where she wants them.

These are some rings I made using solder paste to place the bronze granules where I wanted them. There's more than one way to skin a cat and all that.
    Attachment 12760
    Misspond just had to mention your rings. They look like treasure rings, really super! Your gold looks really gold which i much prefer to the pale stuff. Paste is great for anything that need to be kept in place. The only annoying thing with it is it's easy to burn then it doesn't want to run!

Thank you, that's the look I was going for, ornate treasure that has been dug up. Paste solder is good if you get decent stuff, like a lot of soldering you've got to get in hot and fast. I just use butane torches so it's doable.
    The gold plating was done with Spa plating gold solution, it does eventually wear off but this photo was taken after a full week of wearing these rings 24/7 with lots of hand washing every day/doing the washing up/hand sanitizer/hands into pockets and bags/every day life so it does hold up well.

This is the photo I meant to post, after the week of hard work they endured....
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200912_142940036-01.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	54.0 KB 
ID:	12761

As for the gallery wire questions - so are you wanting to a) make a bezel setting with ordinary bezel strip and then put gallery wire around that so that the inner stip acts as a step? If so, thats doable, not done it myself but I've seen others use that technique. You might sacrifice your first attempt but you'll just have to put that in your scrap pot.
    And if you want to make a gallery wire higher... by soldering it to a strip of plain bezel wire? Like anything else that's down to filing and soldering skills. Binding wire might make that harder to achieve - maybe file everything so they're flush and then use sewing pins to butt them up together on a magnesia block to solder them together. Or just use a gallery wire that has a higher base? Bellore Rashbel have a much bigger selection of interesting gallery wires than anyone else. I needed a higher base gallery wire for something I wanted to do so bought a double pronged gallery wire (so the pretty prongs were north and south of the mid section) and snipped off the bottom prongs so that the base was thicker. I've kept the snipped off pieces to use another day.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	amethyst pendant ornate.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	39.3 KB 
ID:	12762