Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sale of hydraulic presses.

Default Sale of hydraulic presses.

Proops Brothers are not often mentioned on the forum, but they sell a number of useful items at low prices. In the past I have recommended their selection of collet mandrels as a bargain buy.

Now they are discounting two table top models of hydraulic presses. They are only 3 ton and 5 ton, but would be great for basic functions like cutting a few disks, or small pressings. The bottle jacks are probably removable, but the frames might not be strong enough to accept a larger substitute.

Still, something to think about if you don't want to build your own.
    https://www.proopsbrothers.com/clearance-46-c.asp Dennis.

Could this be used as an alternative to an arbour press for metal stamps? I'm having issues with any sort of hammering since developing a particular type of headache.

No, I dont think so Sheena. For stamping, you learn the sort of tap that's right with your particular hammer. Similarly with an arbour press. With a hydraulic press you have very little feedback, and the alignment and release are slow and tedious. Dennis.

Thanks Dennis, that makes complete sense. You keep me right and it's much appreciated researching each item and what it can do can be bamboozling

Hi Sheena when you say stamping do you mean decoration type stamping or, letters, Hallmarking, caricatures etc, for set shapes e.g. letters an Arbor press is quite suitable, in fact I have two modified (ram drilled to take stamps)for that exact purpose
    Using a Hydraulic press would become annoying very quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    Hi Sheena when you say stamping do you mean decoration type stamping or, letters, Hallmarking, caricatures etc, for set shapes e.g. letters an Arbor press is quite suitable, in fact I have two modified (ram drilled to take stamps)for that exact purpose
    Using a Hydraulic press would become annoying very quickly.
    Yes I was looking into arbour presses previously and I think I would still like to get one the only slight spanner in the works is that i've developed a type of headache that is made worse by any type of impact. But i'm hoping it'll resolve itself eventually. I think you and Dennis as right about the hydraulic one becoming annoying really quickly.

Here is a pic of a purpose built unit I made some years ago, a Arbor press would do the same job, the small 1/2ton and 1 ton are very cheap these days, some have the ram already drilled, I am fortunate that I can do this myself, I'm sure you could find some one who has lathe or mill that could it
    tClick image for larger version. 

Name:	P8140007.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	64.1 KB 
ID:	12763

Yes I know one day I will paint it
    Last edited by china; 22-11-2020 at 01:38 PM.

What colour are you thinking of going for?

Rust, Ahh! already is rust that means I don't have to paint it

Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    Rust, Ahh! already is rust that means I don't have to paint it
    "Patina"...