Thread: Gold solder lighter in colour than rest of piece?

Default Gold solder lighter in colour than rest of piece?

Hi everyone!
    First time on here! I've searched everywhere for an answer to my question but have had no such luck.

I have soldered a jump ring (half jump ring) to the top of an 18-carat yellow gold pendant (which was cast via lost wax casting method). I used 18ct gold wire solder bought from cooksongold. The area that I soldered looks slightly lighter than the rest of the pendant. Not like silver but not quite as yellow as the rest of the gold. I can see the difference if I look hard.

I'm not sure where I have gone wrong, however, I will note that I probably used too much solder during the process.

I don't want to take too much gold off as this may weaken the joint? I also filed away as much as possible.

Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance. And sorry that I cannot attached a photo (I have to have made 5 posts)
    Natalie

Hi Natalie and welcome. It's quite common for solders not being a good match, even more so if the casting gold is from a different source.

To hide the solder used to attach a jump ring, be very sparing, because you can always add a smidgen more later if required. It also helps to make a tiny groove with a round burr so that the ring fits snugly, instead of just on edge.

If you can't clean it up to your satisfaction then hold it up a few cm, by hooking the ring on some tweezers. then flux and gently re-heat until the pendant drops off.
    This will give you the chance to clean away more solder, but not all of it, and then re-fix the jump ring using the solder left behind. Dennis.

I agree with Dennis, just to emphasise the aim is to keep the joint as close/tight as possible, this will minimise any discrepancy in the colour.

Hello! thankyou Dennis and China for your replies