Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Meet Tommy Toucan.

Tommy toucan is great Dennis. I too remember the Guinness promotions from the early 70s. The choice of colours work well together, you can loose definition with straight black. A thumbs up from me

Thank you Alastair. In a way I'm perverting the use of this jewellery forum, by showing acrylics, but that is what I mainly make these days. Dennis.

It’s all about design and use of materials and techniques Dennis. There are some purists on social media forums who believe that work such as mine is little more than basic art college training and is worthless and it’s denigrated by comparison to those who did apprenticeships. I think there is room for all of us and we’re all coming from this from different places. Some have amazing technical skills and little creativity, I’d go for both anytime

Who said acrylics is not jewellery, jewellery is in many forms and many materials, I say keep up up the good work.

As long as it's wearable, it's jewellery.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    In a way I'm perverting the use of this jewellery forum, by showing acrylics
    In my opinion you are not. I'm constantly surprised and amazed by what is made by innovative hobbyist and craftspeople, it does not matter how they have been trained or what tools and materials they use. It helps to remind me not to be rigid in my approach to making jewellery and silverware. Keep up the good work.

Quote Originally Posted by alastairduncan View Post
    In my opinion you are not. I'm constantly surprised and amazed by what is made by innovative hobbyist and craftspeople, it does not matter how they have been trained or what tools and materials they use. It helps to remind me not to be rigid in my approach to making jewellery and silverware. Keep up the good work.
    Sadly there is a huge amount of snobbery in the jewellery world about costume jewellery Alastair. I used a lot of Perspex and resin back in the 70s and 80s and have been returning to resins recently. The only problem I find is given the amount of time required to make something unique by hand it isn’t financially viable. The family members who receive the works of art that Dennis produces are really lucky.
    This brings the question of when is jewellery a skilled piece of craftsmanship and when is it art? Why can’t it be both but there are those who think that the 2 don’t go together

Craftsmanship without art is purely reproduction. With artistic input it becomes original.....a work of art.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    Sadly there is a huge amount of snobbery in the jewellery world about costume jewellery
    Yes I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    I used a lot of Perspex and resin back in the 70s and 80s and have been returning to resins recently. The only problem I find is given the amount of time required to make something unique by hand it isn’t financially viable.
    I think the intrinsic value of the materials dictates how much effort you can charge for generally. If its plastic/resin the punter will not be prepared to pay for artistic endeavour unless you have a brand which is valued e.g. Banksy - all he has to do is paint on a wall, where's the value in that?