Thread: Safe storage of propane gas bottle

Default Safe storage of propane gas bottle

Hello,

I have been looking to invest in an oxygen concentrator and Smith's little torch set up with the regulators/flashbacks all included.

I will be getting a small propane gas bottle to attach and I'm wondering what people think is the best way to store/secure this is. My home studio is only small and the gas bottle will fit under my bench. I wonder if there is a kind of cage/metal box for storing the bottles.
    I work at a professional workshop at the moment but they just keep the gas bottle out in the open but I would rather it be stored in something for safety.

Thanks for any advice!

Cat

The only safety required is placement so you do not knock it about and damage connections etc, keep it away from flame, never enclose the cylinder in a cupboard or the like, unless it has ventilation at the bottom, propane is heavier than air and will build up in such a enclosure, (in the event of a leak) if it makes you feel better you could enclose it it a mesh type cage this would prevent unauthorised tampering. These days gas cylinders go have to comply with strict standards and are very safe, I believe from previous threads on the subject that, in the UK some insurance companies may have certain restrictions.
    I have my oxygen and LPG cylinders just sitting by my bench.