Thread: Advice on disc cutter and doming set quality

Default Advice on disc cutter and doming set quality

I am planning to invest in a disc cutter and doming set. There are so many on the market and would appreciate some advice please. I should say that I prefer to spend a little more for quality but also recognise there is probably a law of diminishing returns. I am not a full time jeweller but love making in my spare time.

Disc cutter: I don't work in any thickness greater than 1mm. I would like discs up to 25mm or thereabouts.
    Question 1: some cutters have an angled base (Durston - not in my price range - and Cooksongold Artisan) to give a shearing action. How important is that?
    Q 2: some cutters have a fixed slot whilst the more expensive screw down the top plate to hold the sheet firmly. How critical is that?

Doming set: I would like a set up to 35mm diameter or thereabouts.

I have read various comments about Cousins and their customer service, that being important to me. Are there any other companies I should be looking at other than Cooksongold? Do you have any suggestions for me to buy or avoid on either, based on your ownership and use?

As ever, I am grateful for the time you spend answering questions. It is so helpful to rookies like me.

Ian

If you are only going to make domes occasionally, then quite a basic set will do, but the very cheapest, often don't cut properly.

The useful features of the more expensive sets are:
    1.The clamping, which makes certain, that your silver does not wander causing your disk to be incomplete.
    That said you do have fingers to do the job for you, but you need to concentrate.
    2. The more expensive sets have slightly tapering stems on their cutting punches, which means they can be removed more easily on completion of the cut. The cheaper sets require an additional rod to tap the cutter right through, because it gets stuck in the metal sheet.

I think you would find a 25mm disk quite difficult to create unless you have a hydraulic press. My biggest cutter measures just under 16mm. After that I scribe the disk and use a saw.

Lastly you need a supplier who will accept returns, so I would stick with Cookson, or Walsh. Dennis.

What Dennis said, also have a look at Pepe tools brand, they have special at the moment which includes extra items

I bought a Durston look alike disc cutter. It clamps down and has from 1.1/4 to 1/8 sizes. Cost was £79. Works a treat. Sold by “jewellers tools” on eBay. Yes personally I think a press is a must to avoid thrashing about with a brass mallet. Somewhere there is a post and photo by me on how I made one. It works well with the cutter and also with my doming block.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    If you are only going to make domes occasionally, then quite a basic set will do, but the very cheapest, often don't cut properly.

The useful features of the more expensive sets are:
    1.The clamping, which makes certain, that your silver does not wander causing your disk to be incomplete.
    That said you do have fingers to do the job for you, but you need to concentrate.
    2. The more expensive sets have slightly tapering stems on their cutting punches, which means they can be removed more easily on completion of the cut. The cheaper sets require an additional rod to tap the cutter right through, because it gets stuck in the metal sheet.

I think you would find a 25mm disk quite difficult to create unless you have a hydraulic press. My biggest cutter measures just under 16mm. After that I scribe the disk and use a saw.

Lastly you need a supplier who will accept returns, so I would stick with Cookson, or Walsh. Dennis.
    Thank you Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by Ruedeleglise View Post
    I bought a Durston look alike disc cutter. It clamps down and has from 1.1/4 to 1/8 sizes. Cost was £79. Works a treat. Sold by “jewellers tools” on eBay. Yes personally I think a press is a must to avoid thrashing about with a brass mallet. Somewhere there is a post and photo by me on how I made one. It works well with the cutter and also with my doming block.
    Thanks, I've had a look and it seems to fit the bill. Ian