Thread: Beginner soldering

Default Beginner soldering

Hi there, I'm fairly new to soldering but have enjoyed making rings, pendants earrings etc. I'd like to make larger pieces now but find my torch doesn't generate enough heat to solder larger items. I have a sievert pro86 torch with a needle point burner and a variable 0.4-2 bar regulator on my bottle. What do I need to change to get more heat. Burner? Regulator? Sorry if this is a basic question but I'm just finding my way TIA

Is that the 3537 needle burner? It has a small neck tube, so you'd need an additional tube for a larger burner.
    Not denigrating the 3537 at all - it's a really nice burner, but it is (as you're aware) a pretty small flame and you'll struggle to do heavier pieces with it.

From memory, I think mine currently has a 3511 neck tube and 3941 burner on it (I have a couple of different ones) that's good for heavier bangles & small vessels (pill pots, for example) in silver. There are other burners that fit the 3501 neck (the 3537 includes that), but I don't know what the heat output is like on them.

I never use anything but the middle burner and it does the majority of work. The number is different on mine it’s so old! It didn’t come with a neck tube and I’ve never felt the need to add one tbh. The needle burner has been its box since 1979
    I’ve only ever changed to the large burner for making cuffs

Thanks for your reply. It's very helpful.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screenshot_20201105_061016.jpg