Thread: Gold!

Default Gold!

Been asked to make a simple pendant which I have always made in silver, but in gold. A big step for me...especially in raw material cost. I suppose similar to the jump from copper to silver. Any basic pieces of wisdom my friends advice and suggestions such as solder, flux etc ?

You didn't say what gold you are using David, but the general advice is to treat it like silver and you'll marvel at how easy it is to work with. Dennis.

I didn’t say as I haven’t started! I have just today been asked.... !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ruedeleglise View Post
    Been asked to make a simple pendant which I have always made in silver, but in gold. A big step for me...especially in raw material cost. I suppose similar to the jump from copper to silver. Any basic pieces of wisdom my friends advice and suggestions such as solder, flux etc ?
    Get the money first!
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    You didn't say what gold you are using David, but the general advice is to treat it like silver and you'll marvel at how easy it is to work with. Dennis.
    Dennis

You advised me recently regarding my first attempt working with 9 ct gold. Borax worked well. I was using easy solder wire and tried to end feed a joint, resulting in overheating and melting an ear post. Cutting tiny pallions worked and my daughter is still getting two pairs of earrings rather than the three planned. So yes, it is easy to work with but any mistake is rather more painful on the wallet!

Stay safe and sane

Ian
    Last edited by Ianfs; 04-11-2020 at 11:00 PM.

Now being “bullied” to make a simple Ring pendant about 21mm in diameter and 3mm thickness.... in gold! What carat gold is best to start with? I personal feel low carat...less cost and not so soft. Any tips or advice gratefully received. Thanks Pearlescence for your advice!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Its really a matter of price and colour. The lower carats tarnish more with time.
    To my eye 18 ct yellow is the most beautiful. Others like red/rose gold, but complain that the solder is not a good match.
    To save buying a whole panel of solder, solder wire by the cm is best.Dennis.

Exciting....a further challenge and just in time for lockdown. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk