Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ethic

Default Ethic

I would like to have a thread about ethic/green/fair-trade/ecologic.
    Where to find ethic metall supplier, tips how to make your workshop more green, to discuss things that happened in the mining buisness etc.?!

Mocha and I DEFINITELTY agree on this one! And that could include how you can make sure that no animal products have been used, etc. (we're vegans, so we make our jewellery vegan, too!)
    Good one, anna-ip!! ^_^

I'd love to know what vegan jewellery is! I've racked my brains (or rather poked my flaccid little brain cell ) and just can't come up with anything....

Well...vegan jewellery is just like vegan chocolate, or vegan clothes, or vegan shoes: made without using animal products ^_^
    For shoes, we tend to go for the recycled car tyre (more and more popular on vegan shoes websites) instead of leather; for chocolate, well... it's so much healthier with no animal fat; and for jewellery we just make sure that we don't use things like leather/wool etc in our workshop!^_^ And since we ourselves don't eat or use animal products in our personal lives, our jewellery is vegan!

Seriously, being vegan is a major step that people can take to help the environment. Without trying to do any propaganda, I think anyone interested should go have a look at the vegan society website as it clearly explains why eating animals has such a devastating impact on our planet...
    Home - Vegan Society

Animal Aid's website is also great:
    Animal Aid: Veggie & Vegan

I hope this answers your question!
    See ya!

For shoes, we tend to go for the recycled car tyre
    Aren't car tyres made from rubber, which is made from oil, which is made over millions of years from tiny plants and animals, called plankton?

going to get some popcorn, a fizzy drink, and a comfy seat......................ok, go for it

Quote Originally Posted by geti-titanium View Post
    Aren't car tyres made from rubber, which is made from oil, which is made over millions of years from tiny plants and animals, called plankton?
    yeah, but, we don't care about plankton cos it doesn't have fluffy wuffy fur & big eyes.
    I mean, when was the last time that you went to the animal rescue centre to find a jar of plankton waiting for adoption?????
    J x

Ok...right..you've decided to take it this way... well..
    When you're a vegan the point is that you try to do your very best to avoid animal products, but you'll always have people telling you things like "how do you know carrots don't have feelings?". Now, with all due respect, that isn't very constructive I think...

The fact is that you can live a very healthy life without eating or using products or byproducts that involve the exploitation of animals by humans (such as meat/fish/poultry/honey/wool/leather....the list is long) and make a huge difference for the planet and it's people, too (animal farming is responsible for 18% of all greenhouse emissions -more than the entire transport sector / fast-shrinking rainforest are being cut down for cattle pasture or to grow crops for animal feed- NOT to feed people -and there are a lot of hungry people on our planet..)
    you couldn't be very healthy if you wanted to avoid plants, too...so the whole philosophy behind veganism really is to do as much as you can.

I think rubber wouldn't count as a product from the exploitation of animals really...

Sorry geti-titanium if I took this too seriously... it's just that I don't understand why people would try to make fun of vegans for making genuine efforts for the environment...

Now you can always go further and take an extra step of course (for example I never buy flowers because I hate the idea of producing them industrially and all the waste there is, which eventually -to me- looks like a lack of respect for nature's creations), but that's more personal ethics/religion than pure veganism. I think avoiding rubber would fall into that category, but I've not reached that stage yet! ^_^
    Last edited by mochiandmocha; 07-10-2009 at 01:19 PM.

Ah! I'm not a great fan of polishing - so I didn't think about wool and leather polishing wheels...mind you - I have my leather sand bag in full view so I don't know why I didn't think of that...! I suppose it is just the way you view things.

I have insulated my workshop with wool insulation simply because I considered it to be less of a polluting product than synthetic, chemical based foams and fibres. I also have big problems with skin reactions to a lot of chemicals so tend to steer clear of them wherever possible. That's one of the reasons why I like working with fine silver - there is no need for solder or pickle...although I have had to dig it out now for occasional use with Argentium!

I view it that so long as every one is aware of the consequences of our actions and is willing to do something to improve our impact on the earth systems then that is a step forward. Everything we do in our modern lives is having an impact on something ecologically speaking...and we can't possibly cover everything!! Some people just feel more able to make massive life changes than others....and everyone should be encouraged to do what ever little bit they can.

I am quite concerned with Animal Rights and the Environment although I know I need to and plan to do more. I do take the attitude that doing something is better than doing nothing though, if you're vegan and use rubber (especially if it is recyclued) then you are doing a hell of a lot more than your average person who maybe just recycles rubbish and might, on occasion by organic produce. So Geti, you're just being picky and awkward in my book! It reminds me of when I was younger, I went Vegetarian but my mother insisted on my having leather shoes, and I was criticised for that, but I was doing my best at the time.

I do try and pick more environmentally frined ly ways of doing things with my jewellery and try to avoid animal products (well, slaughtered animal products). My rawhide mallet really pees me off because I couldn't ffind a death free alternative!

There is a flip side to this though, that Barbara touched on, in that vegans I have met use synthetic and plastic alternatives to animal products which are far more costly to the environment than their animal based counterparts.
    Lucinda