Hi, think I used to be on the forum, many many years ago, under a different name, but couldn’t remember that so have resigned up. It’s been many years since I made any proper jewellery, and even when I did it was items that interested me technically/design wise, or for family and friends. I’ve never sold anything though before and I think my idea below may incur more cost to me which I’m potentially willing to sacrifice for potential future ideas, but wondered if anyone can help out with advice on the legalities, before I do anything (making, discussing with the charity I’m representing etc) so I’m confident I’m going to do the right thing by the law, charity and ‘consumer’.

I’m fundraising for an ultra run that I’m going to do next April. Before COVID I raised about £1k from a single social media post on my personal page to friends, family and work colleagues. That’s great, But I want to raise more. With COVID having affected many people’s income, including my own I don’t just want to ‘nag’ people to sponsor me and thought about making a few pieces of jewellery that could either be sold (cheaper items like bangles, earrings etc), but also maybe raffling a bigger statement piece (maybe a necklace) - all sterling silver, and all profits to go towards the charity. That way people get something out of it, or the chance to. However, would this mean I need to setup for hallmarking since the items are being sold?

I’m assuming I do need to do that. I’m aware I can choose the assay office I want to use - we’re in Nottinghamshire and I know Birmingham and Sheffield well, both are about an hour away from us. Perhaps that makes no difference in reality, but are there pros/cons to either of them over the other? Why would you pick one and not the other? On the silly side, I prefer the mark of the Sheffield rose...