Thread: Never sold anything, but considering it for a charity fundraiser - legality though?

Default Never sold anything, but considering it for a charity fundraiser - legality though?

Hi, think I used to be on the forum, many many years ago, under a different name, but couldn’t remember that so have resigned up. It’s been many years since I made any proper jewellery, and even when I did it was items that interested me technically/design wise, or for family and friends. I’ve never sold anything though before and I think my idea below may incur more cost to me which I’m potentially willing to sacrifice for potential future ideas, but wondered if anyone can help out with advice on the legalities, before I do anything (making, discussing with the charity I’m representing etc) so I’m confident I’m going to do the right thing by the law, charity and ‘consumer’.

I’m fundraising for an ultra run that I’m going to do next April. Before COVID I raised about £1k from a single social media post on my personal page to friends, family and work colleagues. That’s great, But I want to raise more. With COVID having affected many people’s income, including my own I don’t just want to ‘nag’ people to sponsor me and thought about making a few pieces of jewellery that could either be sold (cheaper items like bangles, earrings etc), but also maybe raffling a bigger statement piece (maybe a necklace) - all sterling silver, and all profits to go towards the charity. That way people get something out of it, or the chance to. However, would this mean I need to setup for hallmarking since the items are being sold?

I’m assuming I do need to do that. I’m aware I can choose the assay office I want to use - we’re in Nottinghamshire and I know Birmingham and Sheffield well, both are about an hour away from us. Perhaps that makes no difference in reality, but are there pros/cons to either of them over the other? Why would you pick one and not the other? On the silly side, I prefer the mark of the Sheffield rose...

Hello Joel,
    I have read your post, and you seem to have answered all of your questions. That only leaves the legality of raffles. You should read up on those. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Joelsyp View Post
    Hi, think I used to be on the forum, many many years ago, under a different name, but couldn’t remember that so have resigned up. It’s been many years since I made any proper jewellery, and even when I did it was items that interested me technically/design wise, or for family and friends. I’ve never sold anything though before and I think my idea below may incur more cost to me which I’m potentially willing to sacrifice for potential future ideas, but wondered if anyone can help out with advice on the legalities, before I do anything (making, discussing with the charity I’m representing etc) so I’m confident I’m going to do the right thing by the law, charity and ‘consumer’.

I’m fundraising for an ultra run that I’m going to do next April. Before COVID I raised about £1k from a single social media post on my personal page to friends, family and work colleagues. That’s great, But I want to raise more. With COVID having affected many people’s income, including my own I don’t just want to ‘nag’ people to sponsor me and thought about making a few pieces of jewellery that could either be sold (cheaper items like bangles, earrings etc), but also maybe raffling a bigger statement piece (maybe a necklace) - all sterling silver, and all profits to go towards the charity. That way people get something out of it, or the chance to. However, would this mean I need to setup for hallmarking since the items are being sold?

I’m assuming I do need to do that. I’m aware I can choose the assay office I want to use - we’re in Nottinghamshire and I know Birmingham and Sheffield well, both are about an hour away from us. Perhaps that makes no difference in reality, but are there pros/cons to either of them over the other? Why would you pick one and not the other? On the silly side, I prefer the mark of the Sheffield rose...
    Find a local person who already has a sponsor mark and get them to get your piece assayed.
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by pearlescence View Post
    Find a local person who already has a sponsor mark and get them to get your piece assayed.
    Is that allowed? There is/certainly was up until recently a manufacturing jeweller in my village so that could be a possibility if it’s a legitimate way round extra costs at this stage.

That seems the way to go as the setting up costs are quite high. You don’t need to register at an Assay Office near you unless you mean to deliver by hand. Some of my friends in a England are register in Edinburgh.It depends on how many pieces you intend to make whether someone will be willing to take it on but if the jewellery is up to their standard and also for charity it’s worth a try

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    That seems the way to go as the setting up costs are quite high. You don’t need to register at an Assay Office near you unless you mean to deliver by hand. Some of my friends in a England are register in Edinburgh.It depends on how many pieces you intend to make whether someone will be willing to take it on but if the jewellery is up to their standard and also for charity it’s worth a try
    So, in case I go the other way, why would you choose one assay office over another? I’m not against using one further away but do end up in Birmingham/Sheffield relatively frequently at times, but as you suggest I won’t necessarily be visiting them to drop items off often.

Well mine was purely geographical as I trained in Edinburgh and it’s the only one in Scotland so it was convenient.i didn’t know there were other options 40 years ago. It might be worth looking at their tariffs as they are all businesses and work differently. In the end it comes down to cost and reliability.

I can't comment except to say that I have dealt with Birmingham not Hallmarking as such, but to have a punch made, they were very good to deal with