Thread: Inexpensive Pneumatic Graving

Default Inexpensive Pneumatic Graving

Any recommendations for an inexpensive way of doing automatic or pneumatic graving? I have my eye on an LPFG (lion punch forge graver) adaptor from pepetools but unfortunately I cant find one in the UK anywhere and shipping seems to be about £50+! Does anybody know if we have something similar over here? If not any recommendations for inexpensive ways to do automatic or pneumatic graving would be really appreciated!
    Last edited by cheal; 30-10-2020 at 09:40 AM.

I don't know of anyone importing the LPF adapter into the UK; I did find it with about £12 shipping on EBay.
    You are aware that it's not a pneumatic system...?

As far as "inexpensive" and "pneumatic", there's really no such thing; you could build a Sean Hughes style handpiece, they don't seem to be too tricky.

Or learn hammer & chisel - same thing, just a bit slower.

Thanks Peter, I wasn't sure what it would be called for a similar system without compressed air so I figured it was all lumped under the same umbrella, guess not so thanks for the heads up! Ill take a look at ebay and see what I can find.

I haven't heard of Sean Hughes before but found him on YouTube so ill take a look. There seems to be hundreds of videos though so do you have any images/specific video where he talks about his handpiece?

Powered is a catch-all - that covers impact handpieces (LPF + Foredom hammer, Magna Graver), pneumatic (GRS, Lindsay, older Ensets) and the newer electromechanical Enset.

Here's one of Shaun's build videos -

There's nothing hugely critical on the LPF - it's a threaded holder for the Foredom hammer handpiece; 4-48UNF-2A according to Foredom's site. Turn down a piece of steel, drill to accept a 2.35mm square, grubscrew on the side and thread the stem.

I have built a homemade hand engraver based on Shaun Hughes videos and can say it works very well. I've added 2 foot controls one that regulates the speed and one for the air flow.

I have also built an all electric system which is powered by a solenoid and controlled by an Arduino and a pwm power controller. This works very nicely and has 2 foot pedals one for power and one for frequency. I have a couple of videos that show what I've done, the components I've used and the code for the Arduino.