Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hammer Action Handpiece Compatibility

Default Hammer Action Handpiece Compatibility

Hi All,

Firstly, I'm new here so apologies if this is the wrong thread!

I currently have the Cooksons Pendant Motor (Item No: 999 FD09) and I am looking to move to the next level by getting a hammer action handpiece (Item No: 999 87EE).

My question is about whether these two items are compatible? If not is there any hammer handpiece that would be compatible? I'm a little concerned that by opting for the cheaper motor while starting out is going to cost me big now.

thanks all

Hi, Cooksons staff used to look in and answer questions like that on the forum, but they don't seem to now.
    There might be a way, but it will be best if you phone or email Cooksons direct for advice. Dennis.

Hi! How did you get on? I think I’ve found myself in the same conundrum! When buying the jewellers (cooksons) pendant drill I asked the difference between this one and the Foredom one and they just said that Foredom was a more reputable brand, therefor probably better made.. they didn’t mention compatibility ��
    When I emailed them 2 days ago asking whether the hammer action hand piece was compatible, they told me that it hadn’t been tried and that I would be trying at my own risk.
    A bit of research led me to your question! I’d love to hear your experience.

Maybe if that’s their answer you need to shop around. Other companies who sell powered jewellery tools seem to have good technical knowledge. I’m surprised there isn’t someone other than the sales team to provide this at Cookson given they sell a vast stock
    Last edited by CJ57; 12-03-2021 at 05:01 PM.

I asked on another forum I’m on and was sent this. Hope it helps or you can give them a call.

I work for Betts in their tool department and have experience with the foredom as its the one I have in my workshop.
    The Foredom handpieces tend to be compatible with most pendant drills as long as they have a key fitting (American standard) or a slip-joint (European standard) make sure to buy the correct one. I don’t what drill you have so I can’t double check if this is the case, but it is easy to check once the handpiece is removed. But just double check the connections. If you plan to do a lot of hammer settting with the handpiece it might be worth looking at the LX motor as it has a higher torque. Also remember that the Foredom handpieces only have a 90 day warranty, so keep the receipt safe.

Hopefully that makes sense and let me know if I have missed anything.

Another option would be to invest in a Dremel engeaver, remove the engraving tip and insert a home made tip of brass rod. This is what Peter Keep demonstrates in his Jewellery Training solutions video on hammer hand pieces. I followed his advice and use the adapted dremel engraver all the time. It was a far less expensive option as it cost less than £25 .

Quote Originally Posted by Daftie View Post
    Another option would be to invest in a Dremel engeaver, remove the engraving tip and insert a home made tip of brass rod.It was a far less expensive option as it cost less than £25 .
    There are other makes that are similar to the Dremel 290. The Dremel is currently £17.99 on Amazon. You can also add one of the AC power controllers and get much finer control, the dremel is a powerful tool. I think the original brand was Burgess back in the 60s and 70s they are still made today. Some have made holders for engraving tools and using it to engrave coins, an example of this is Jerry Morales AKA myguitarismymisstress and can be found on instagram and youtube

https://www.instagram.com/myguitarismymistress/

He has also made adaptations so that he can hold polishing stones in it and made a miniature reciprocating power sander.
    Last edited by alastairduncan; 23-03-2021 at 09:52 AM. Reason: Typo

Purely for interest, I bought this back in the seventies, it has never been used and is in the original case
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BUR 1.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	55.7 KB 
ID:	12960

I have tried three different brands if this, but they all have the same fierce action even on the lowest setting.
    As I lack in depth electrical skills, I reduced the power further, using an inline dimmer, which worked quite well, but the continuous noise is still a problem, so I am mostly content to set by hand. Dennis.

I bought the Dremel as suggested before, turned it on and noise and vibration were intolerable. It went back in the box and has joined the tool graveyard in the cupboard