Hi All,

I am normally reading and enjoying investigating jewellery making as a pastime and not posted or taken it up myself. However now I have a problem with a family ring I want to pass down to my son since injuring my finger and not having worn it for a long time. It is my father's gold onyx signet ring. My son (22) has been desperate to wear it for years and I finally made the decision and we both recently visited a local jewellery shop to get it resized.

Their opinion was that the ring was downsizing by too many sizes and I ran the risk of the stone breaking and running into huge costs. The ring has worn away a lot since I had it and the hall mark and engraving has long gone but still seems to be solid enough. I asked if they could add gold or if there was any other way it could be done. I can't afford a complete copy to be made, especially with the carving. It seemed maybe a new ring should be bought and the stone set in that but they didn't really seem interested. Anyway this all loses the whole sentimental value of a ring and the reason for passing it down two generations if you know what I mean.

My son, even though he is 22 has very small fingers. I stupidly forgot to note down the sizes we were talking about and will have to get it measured again but I think we were talking about it being K now and having to come down 4.5 sizes or it may have been even more than this. I will have to get that part confirmed again.

My question is, can this sort of ring be downsized substantially and stay in one piece, can gold be added back in or is that not necessary, what information would you need to asses the work? How do I find a person with skills to do this. I am based in Loughton, Essex. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am very keen to get a family heirloom passed on. I hope I can upload photos to help, they are not the best quality. Many thanks for your help, James.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9239.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	45.9 KB 
ID:	12736

Name:	IMG_9240.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	27.6 KB 
ID:	12737

Name:	IMG_9241.jpg