Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jewellery Manufacturer. China or Thailand?

Default Jewellery Manufacturer. China or Thailand?

I am looking to get some of my jewellery designs made - I have found two jewellery manufacturers who both seem good. The Thailand manufacturer is by far superior in terms of communication, understanding my requests, all the photos on their website is pieces they have actually made, they are environmentally cautious, their prices are based off the live sterling silver prices so it feels very fair rather than just randomly priced, and they just seem all round an amazing manufacturer to work with.

The Chinese manufacturer that I found (after searching for months and months) also seems to have lots of experience, they have sent me photos of jewellery they have made which looks good, however on their site (as most Chinese manufacturers do) they use stolen photos from other jewellery brands for examples of what they can make rather than taking photos of their own work which always bothers me. It is sometimes harder to communicate with them as well. They do seem good though and they can make high quality pieces which is what I am looking for.

Both seem good to work with. The Thailand manufacturers prices for the same items are a bit more expensive. For example I enquired about very similar pairs of earrings from both and the Chinese manufacturer the price was around $3.50 and the Thailand manufacturer the price was $5.40 for sterling silver 18k gold plated earrings.

I wanted to know if anyone has any advice or suggestions? This is my first time having any jewellery manufactured. I feel the Thailand manufacturer is the one to go with but obviously its going to cost more but I feel that seems worth it for an easier experience and trust that my products are being made to the standards I want?

I there no one in your own country ( where ever that is) that can do it.

Not a great fan of shipping out to cheap labour no matter what their website says but I’ve nothing else to add as I don’t mass produce

A couple of reminders - firstly that you will have to pay Vat and duty on import and secondly that, at least for now, the items must comply with the EU metal content rules.
    In normal times the best course of action would be for you to visit both.
    Both countries are very competent Much of what is sold on the high street comes from China, mostly without attribution. Thailand has some very skilled jewellers. One company I visit regularly is just round the corner from a huge Pandora factory.
    I wouldn't read too much into the photos - copyright is not viewed in the same way in China
    How big is your order going to be? Big enough to ask for samples?
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

I'm curious, what sort of earrings?

Usually its based on volume you will have to pay for masters and moulds too then you get tax and duty as said above.

Yes both manufacturers comply with EU metal regulations. Both factories also pay their staff fairly and I have seen the factories through videos and they both look good in terms of working conditions etc as that is very important to me also.

My business has grown a fair amount this year with retailers wanting to stock my styles so I have to mass produce now as I wouldn't be physically able to produce thousands of pieces.

If your having thousands made, you can afford to pay for samples then you can decide if they are upto your standards. How do you know they are fair ? Because the interweb says so ? I personally wouldn't make large investments without seeing where and who is making them .

Removed comment
    Last edited by CJ57; 25-10-2020 at 03:10 PM.

Hi!

Thanks for your comment. I am having samples made, of course. I just came on here to ask for some helpful advice from anyone else who had experience with manufacturers in Thailand as I haven't worked with any in Thailand as of yet. I spent months and months doing research on both of them, so no not just 'because the interweb says so'. Both companies are members of the business social compliance initiative as well as passing all European standards.