Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Attaching Clock hands

You can never have enough tools, "emergency tube cutter" drill hole in a piece of PVC or similar same size as rivet, push rivet in, cut to size through PCV and rivet and Bob's" your Unckle.
    or use a god excuse to buy a another tool.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandra View Post
    Thanks Dennis! As it goes with every project I’ve discovered I need additional tools for this project starting with a tube cutting jig. I’m hoping I finally get to the point one day when I find I don’t need any new tools! (Or maybe that never happens in jewellery making??!)
    Actually Sandra, small tubes below say 3mm 0/diameter, can easily be cut with a fine blade without the use of a jig, and if necessary filed a bit.
    My picture show s how to support it for soldering to a background using haemostats and a thin wire to insert, but other clamps, or self closing tweezers would do. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sb Supporting A Vertical Tube.jpg  

I've finally just got back to working on my hand-riveting project yesterday! I bought several sizes of tube and found one that works perfectly. I first tried a scribe to rotate around and it worked a bit but didn't seem quite sturdy enough so I used a small dapping tool and pounded it gently. The hands are attached but the rivet looks a little rough and I obviously need to continue practicing this technique. It's possible the walls of my tube were too thick too. Dennis on your last post you pictured a method for soldering, I riveted each end though. Do you think soldering one end would be better?

You can solder one end, or rivet both, depending on circumstance and the material used.
    If the tubing is a bit thick you can thin the end by running a ball burr that just fits.
    You can also make several shallow saw cuts to make the end easier to turn over. all these things are a matter for more experiments.
    I have even used a nail punch which has a hollow end, to curl the end over once weakened.
    Dennis.

Thanks again Dennis, I’ll have to do a bit of experimenting! I’m attaching bronze clock hands to a silver clock face with a silver tube. Since the tube will fit tightly in the hole I could solder the back of the tube in place - a possible downside maybe once it’s soldered in and I botch up the rivet on the front it would not be fun to fix!

I dont think you'll botch it up Sandra if you practice first. Dennis.