Thread: Gold soldering

Default Gold soldering

I jumped on an earlier thread today and probably shouldn't have done so to ask a specific question, hence a bit of deja vu for those who have already seen it elsewhere.

I have been working as an amateur with silver for a year or so and am just about to start on my first 9 carat yellow gold pieces for my daughter - simple earrings with posts and scrolls from Cooksongold. My question is whether the Borax cone I use for silver is a suitable flux or is there a better type for gold? Having bought the gold, I can't see myself doing much more as its so expensive. I will continue making with sterling silver, so I'm reluctant to buy a different flux unless it is absolutely necessary.

Thank you in advance.

Ian

I did answer on the other thread or at least I thought I did

Hi Ian.
    If you treat gold just like silver, borax and all, you won't go wrong. In fact you might find it slightly easier.
    However you might have read here that some of us use Auroflux, which comes as a yellow fluid, because it does not expand as much when heated and can be used for both metals.
    Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    I did answer on the other thread or at least I thought I did
    Thank you Caroline, yes you did reply on the other thread. I was a little anxious my query may not have been picked up by other but I was proved wrong. This is such a kind and helpful forum.
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Hi Ian.
    If you treat gold just like silver, borax and all, you won't go wrong. In fact you might find it slightly easier.
    However you might have read here that some of us use Auroflux, which comes as a yellow fluid, because it does not expand as much when heated and can be used for both metals.
    Dennis.
    Hi Dennis
    Thank you for your reply and with that from Caroline, has put my mind at rest. Having received such a tiny amount of gold for my money, I felt I needed some hand holding. As ever, the forum has been kind and helpful. I will give my borax cone a whirl. When that runs out (probably when I'm 311 years old at the current rate it's reducing; it seems to go on for ever), I might try Auroflux.
    Stay safe and sane all.
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Ianfs View Post
    Thank you Caroline, yes you did reply on the other thread. I was a little anxious my query may not have been picked up by other but I was proved wrong. This is such a kind and helpful forum.
    Ian
    Maybe it needed a male response although I do have 40 years on the clock

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    Maybe it needed a male response although I do have 40 years on the clock
    Not at all. I have read your posts about your studying and seen your work. Nuff said!

Quote Originally Posted by Ianfs View Post
    Not at all. I have read your posts about your studying and seen your work. Nuff said!
    Glad to hear it Ian. You can always rely on Dennis though to give you the best of advice, we’ve become like a double act recently now that it’s so quiet!