Thread: Hi all

Default Hi all

Hi guys, I am a total amateur here but my wife loves gemstones and jewelry so I want to learn something useful. I want to make a special present

Hi both. We’re happy to help with specific questions on projects you are working on and help with any problems you’re having.Most people on here are professional jewellers which is why it’s so quiet so we aren’t a teaching forum but are always happy to help if you’ve searched through the many categories and can’t find the answer to your dilemma.
    Ask away!

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    Hi both. We’re happy to help with specific questions on projects you are working on and help with any problems you’re having.Most people on here are professional jewellers which is why it’s so quiet so we aren’t a teaching forum but are always happy to help if you’ve searched through the many categories and can’t find the answer to your dilemma.
    Ask away!
    Hi Caroline (and anyone else who can advise me)
    May I jump on this thread and ask away please? I have been working as an amateur with silver for about a year and am just about to start on my first 9 carat yellow gold pieces for my daughter - simple earrings with posts and scrolls from Cooksongold. My question is whether Borax is a suitable flux or is there a better type? Having bought the gold, I can't see myself doing much more as its so expensive and will continue with sterling silver. Thank you in advance.
    Ian

You can’t really go wrong with borax. I’m assuming it’s a cone ? It’s what I was trained to use but a lot of us have got a bit lazy and use the auflux liquid from Cookson now
    Last edited by CJ57; 15-10-2020 at 07:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    Ask away!
    Thank you, I appreciate it.

Hi Joel, I'm also pretty new so it's nice to see some other beginners joining the forum too It looks like there's lots of help to be found here.