Thread: Tumbling silver chains

Default Tumbling silver chains

Does anyone have any ideas on preventing silver chains from tangling in tumbler?
    Would they clean up as well in ultrasonic ? I have a small ultrasonic but not really used it . Any thoughts welcome

If the links are big enough you can thread chains in loops on a satefy pin, or onto a thin strand of copper wire (or indeed any wire) if you have some. That's how I tumble chains anyway.

me too, loop the links onto a paper clip or wire or safety pin and they will never tangle again...

I have seen chain threaded through a couple of holes in a piece of water proof plastic strip and then placed in a tumbler, a ultrasonic cleaner will clean chain as in remove dirt, excess polishing media etc. it will not impart any degree of polish.
    I polish chain on my bench polisher, NO I don't recommend it unless you really experienced.

Default Tumbling silver chains

Great. I have always been scared stiff I would end up,with a right royal “birds nest” if I tumbled chain. I will try one of these ways.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have long ago given up tumbling chains, because there is no way the shot can reach inside the links unless they are very large.

You get a better result by laying it flat and brushing it with an extra fine wet and soapy brass brush while rotating it.
    http://www.metalclay.co.uk/search.ph...ft+brass+brush Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 11-10-2020 at 03:13 PM.

Yes tried it and must admit with my chain Dennis is spot on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you everyone for those good ideas. I’ll try the safety pin idea thank you .
    Thank you to Dennis I think that’s a very good idea and think I’ll use a brass brush in future . Some chains were bought chains so quite fine . The ones I made myself much larger links .