Thread: Tiny Filligree work

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Tiny Filligree work

Hi
    Anybody had ago at really fine filligree work any tips I most likely know the theory, but you never know if you don't ask it is for the "Phoenix ring project" ( I keep changing it).

Time for bed the key board is not doing what it is told
    Last edited by china; 02-10-2020 at 03:49 PM.

I did one when we had a college project, but did not go on because I prefer plainer more open work.

1. Watched lots of videos.
    2. Rolled down wire into strips, about 1.7mm wide by 0.25mm thick.
    3. Fixed the frame to the soldering block with a few drops of superglue applied to the outer side, away from any joints.
    4. Packed the springy shapes so they held each other like sardines.
    5. Liberally wetted with Auflux.
    6. Dusted with solder filings, made by filing strip solder, trying to include all contacts, and heated gently with a very soft flame.
    7. Inspected and added more solder where necessary.

If I were doing it now, I would probably practice with copper. The most difficult part was deciding on the number and size of S and other shapes to fill the spaces attractively. Dennis.

You can buy the fine silver on a roll specifically for filigree High is handy but I didn’t use it for that purpose in the end.I melt it for making balls for granulation

Thanks for the replies, seems like a case of practice first. This will be in rose gold so I need to be extra careful re solder lines my not work to my satisfaction, so it may be back to the drawing board

Noticed this in Instagram, the silvera jewellery school are doing an online course on filigree work 27-29 of November I think it is. Here's the link
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CF5QhM_B..._web_copy_link

silverajewelryschool Filigree students! Advance your skills in making filigree jewelry in our new Filigree 2: Coils and Middle Eastern Flowers class online!
    Our guest instructor @mfmetalarts will teach you the fundamentals of making filigree coils and Middle Eastern style flowers. At the end of this workshop you will have created a pair of filigree teardrop earrings and a multi level 3 dimensional filigree flower pendant.▪️November 27-29▪️if you are interested in this but haven’t taken Filigree 1 yet, we have another session of that coming up as well, October 16-18, in time to get you the prerequisite. Follow Online Classes link in profile for complete details and registration.