Thread: Finshing off a 2mm gold bead necklace, crimping / threading wire issue

Default Finshing off a 2mm gold bead necklace, crimping / threading wire issue

Hey all!

So I am making a gold bead necklace, the beads are about 2mm in size, so pretty small.

I have mastered crimping, the problem I am having is finishing off the necklace, how do I get the wire back through the tiny gold beads and clip it off before crimping the last end without having any more slack left on the necklace or having a bit of wire sticking out? It is proving to be impossible. The only way I have been able to do it is with leaving some slack, which obviously means the beads move about a bit and it looks a bit messy...

Any tips?

Thank you all so much!

Hi and welcome to the forum. Is it possible that you are not using thin enough wire?
    It need only be 0.3mm, or .012" in diameter.
    https://www.google.com/search?client...d+beading+wire Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Hi and welcome to the forum. Is it possible that you are not using thin enough wire?
    It need only be 0.3mm, or .012" in diameter.
    https://www.google.com/search?client...d+beading+wire Dennis.
    Hey Dennis,

Thanks for the reply.

Sorry maybe I described this issue wrong, the wire is thin enough and goes through, my issue is how to tighten off the slack, crimp and clip off the wire without leaving any sticking out and such when using such tiny beads.

Maybe hard to describe without visuals, I will keep at it anyway.

When I used to do beading...faced with a tiny bead at the end too small to take the wire through twice, I would add a larger hole decorative bead at the end which allowed me to crimp and thread the end through giving a nice finish.

Quote Originally Posted by theresa View Post
    When I used to do beading...faced with a tiny bead at the end too small to take the wire through twice, I would add a larger hole decorative bead at the end which allowed me to crimp and thread the end through giving a nice finish.
    Hi @Theresa,

Thanks for the reply!

I can thread it through fine, the wire fits back through the beads okay, but it is being able to pull it tight and loosen off the slack while also threading it through and crimping. I am finding it a nightmare and near on impossible to do when so small, I always end up with about 5 mm of space left between crimp and final beads or I cannot get it threaded back through

I don't know if this helps but I thread it back through the crimp and several beads, pulling on the end I crimp the crimp bead then I cut off the excess wire. Remember to have some space on your wire so the necklace isn't overly rigid and can bend round someone's neck.

perhaps you could post a photo of the type of crimp you are using and the necklace/clasp end. There are lots of ways of finishing ends

I think then, If I understand your problem, you need something to act as a third hand, to create tension on the loop while you crimp close to the last bead.

For this you can use string, passed through the wire loop and tied to something firm, or a thin rod held in a vice.
    Take note of Sheena's advice and don't make it so tight that it won't drape well on the neck.
    Also be aware that gold beads can be very fragile and easily kinked, or collapsed. Dennis