Thread: Denatured Alcohol

Default Denatured Alcohol

Lost in translation...

So is this a thing in the UK? Or is it called something else here? Is UK Methylated Spirits the same - the purple dyed stuff. Is this correct? If not where can you buy denatured alcohol in the UK?

I've seen US jewellers on Instagram using a solution of Denatured Alcohol to help reduce firestain. Which leads me to my next lost in translation thing - Boric Acid. Is that the same as Borax or are they different compounds?

I use Borax for cleaning and laundry so have an abundance and I've just checked our camping supplies as we use Meths for our camping stove, so have a bottle of that too.
    Find Milomade online - follow the links below....
    Website | Instagram

Meths is denatured alcohol (with dye & Bitrex). You can buy denatured alcohol without the dye, but it tends to be more expensive. If the dye's not an issue I'd stick with meths.

Boric acid is H3BO3, while borax is Na2B4O7 (usually decahydrate, but can be sourced as anhydrous). Different compounds.

More than you ever wanted to know about meths:

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/....xht?wrap=true

Hi Evie,
    As I understand it you are looking for a firescale inhibitor.
    Boric acid powder, cheaply available on line and also at local pharmacies will dissolve in meths, and can then be applied to warmed silver by painting or dipping.

There is no need to get the more expensive de-natured alcohol, unless you prefer the smell. The solution is made up by adding powder until no more will dissolve.

Its safer to allow the solution to dry off before applying your torch, or it will flare. Once dry, your piece will be covered by a fragile coat of powder, but never perfectly, so the preventative action is not that complete. There is also a risk that your container will catch fire if left open near the soldering area.

There was once a craze on here for a product called Magic Boric. On test it did not perform anything like as well, so still lurks in the back of my cupboard hardly used. Dennis.