Thread: Sawing small things

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Sawing small things

What's the best way to go about sawing tiny items like flowers abt 3mm in diameter(for decorating rings etc.) I found drawing your design on a label was not a good idea, using a pen is too inaccurate, going to try a scribe next possible blacking out with sharpie first. I struggle with the saw dust falling on the line making it very difficult to see what I'm doing. Found using a size 4/0 saw blade is much better than a 2/0 one. Any hints and tips?

For that size I'd scribe. Might be worth making up a template in thin brass - given the size, with a long handle (don't scribe round the handle, obviously ). If you can angle your main light source to show up the scribe line better that might help; I'd also be using a 4/0 for that. Blow or brush the dust off as soon as it starts to obscure; I suppose you could rig a small aquarium pump to blow the line free but that's probably more of a faff than it's worth.

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    For that size I'd scribe. Might be worth making up a template in thin brass - given the size, with a long handle (don't scribe round the handle, obviously ). If you can angle your main light source to show up the scribe line better that might help; I'd also be using a 4/0 for that. Blow or brush the dust off as soon as it starts to obscure; I suppose you could rig a small aquarium pump to blow the line free but that's probably more of a faff than it's worth.
    Thanks Peter that gives me some useful ideas. I'm going to try using a brush to remove the dust. How is a metal template used to saw shapes? I've heard it mentioned but I've never seen it done or described.

May I say that before I mark out my flower piercing shapes I always polish the surface of the metal so tht the scribed lines stand out clear. As Peter says I always use metal templates to mark out my flower shapes, especially when making multiples of the same shape flower.

These photos may give you an idea of what I am saying, they show some of my flower patterns and shapes, I make them in copper before committing my shape ideas to precious metals.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	215 Flower patterns.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	64.2 KB 
ID:	12714 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	46c Clematis patterns.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	57.7 KB 
ID:	12715 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	42a Patterns for a Dog Rose bud.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	24.1 KB 
ID:	12716 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	31bbb Chrysanths & Ivy, detail sheet.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	57.5 KB 
ID:	12717

James

Maybe hold them in a small mitre jig vice to cut

Quote Originally Posted by Sheen View Post
    How is a metal template used to saw shapes?
    It's just a scribing template - you cut one out, finalise edges than scribe around it on the final metal for multiples. 0.75-1mm brass is what I usually use.
    If you make it with some rotational symmetry that'll help with the handle being in the way - scribe, pick it up & rotate it e.g. one petal and finish the scribing.

For brushes, a cheap shaving brush is useful (or a paintbrush, or the traditional hares foot... I might have a rabbit foot around, but no hare).

Peter, ah I see now. I have on occasion used stencil plastic (from the art shop) to make a quick stencil for matching earrings. Metal is definitely a more resilient long lasting way to go. I've never tried a hares foot! But have used make up powder brushes in the past when I made dolls house miniatures. James your templates are beautiful! I love how you shape your patterns after. Metal is so transfixing the way it bends, compresses and stretches. I love sticking something in a depression and hammering it to shape�� I'm going to try polishing my metal before I scribe and see if i get on better.

I regularly saw tiny things and use a hoover tube suspended above what I'm sawing, which removes the 'dust', so I can see where I'm sawing. If the hoover tube isn't suitable for the situation, use my oh's old badger brush. I also use finer blades than you should. It works for me.
    Jules