Thread: Functional Jewellery

Default Functional Jewellery

Hi there,
    I was wondering if anyone makes jewellery with a functional use?
    Doing some research for my dissertation, looking at how the role of function in jewellery has changed. For example how signet rings were once used for sealing letters.
    Many thanks in advance

Hi Anna,
    Over the years members have made small decorative containers for the ashes of pets, to be worn as pendants, and one member makes rings with the addition of braided horse hair from a loved horse. Welcome to the forum, Dennis.

Hi Anna
    I know this is probably not what you meant but Dennis has veered into a wider area with memorial jewellery.
    Jewellery has always had a function, to show wealth , wedding rings to show the ownership of a wife primarily, before the invention of photography memorial jewellery especially in Victorian times using the braided hair of your loved ones, identity bracelets, dog tags.
    Now we have the addition of breast milk, teeth, ashes made into diamonds.Jewellery is an adornment, it can make you feel good, strong, individual, still used to show great wealth, all preforming a function really in the broader sense

I suppose first the need is to define what is jewellery ,I have made belt buckles from both silver and Gold with and without with engraving I also have added gems, same with buttons, also various items to secure a persons hair in place.

Closely followed by what is functional jewellery... Buckles, arthritis supports, knife furniture?

That’s what I meant by all jewellery in its wider sense has a function. Whether it’s as a fashion accessories, to hold your trousers up etc

Thank you very much for your replies.