Thread: Metal Clay Earrings

Default Metal Clay Earrings

I was commissioned to make something for a friend's 70th birthday at the beginning of October - "You know mum, she likes silver and she likes green." We decided on earrings and I was left to my own devices.

At work a couple of weeks ago I was looking at the trees and then remembered that this lady (vaguely pagan/bit witchy) loved the rowan tree at the front of her house, so I got her son to send me a frond of leaves.

I've used silver metal clay and painted thick metal clay paste on the back of the leaves (the part that has the most texture). When fired in the kiln the leaves burn away leaving a silver replica. Set them with some teeny green tsavorite garnets and popped them on ear wires. I usually stay away from making this kind of thing because there are people out there who do it so much better, and with metal clay being twice the price of bullion they're not cheap really - my friend (her daughter) didn't mind how much they cost so I was free to play.

And last night her daughter sent me some photos her mum had taken of the rowan tree that day and affectionately told me that I'm a witch because they're going to be perfect

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	metal clay rowan leaves.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	47.6 KB 
ID:	12713

Yes you are Deb. That worked really well and the green garnets bring to mind the green of the leaves. I note you have a kiln, so were they kiln fired? Dennis.

They were kiln fired Dennis. The general wisdom from the metal clay groups I'm in says a long and slow kiln firing over two hours is preferable to a 10 minute torch firing. And these earrings were important to get right, the woman they're destined for is a very good friend that I haven't seen in person for a long time. I was honoured to be asked to make them for her.

Some thing tells me your friend will be very impressed, I know I am.

Thanks for the compliment Bob, much appreciated.

A good technique, well described and executed nicely. Very interesting, well done.