Thread: Silver Chain Price

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Unhappy Silver Chain Price

Good morning - I have just been re-costing my chain and was shocked to see how much prices have risen since April. Silver 4mm Belcher has increased from 0.680 per g in April to 0.95 per g today. This makes a big difference to the finished piece. I will have to re-cost a lot of my stock because I offered different chain lengths for the same price previously, which is not possible now, so depressing....

Would that it were just chain though - my average Cookie's shopping basket has gone up by over 50% - to the point where I've had to delist things because I just can't justify passing on all of the increases in price to customers, especially on smaller items. I find trying to keep track of it very frustrating too - but I've always hated the admin side of things! I'd much rather be making stuff

I agree George - everything is so dear now, I mark every packet with the latest price so I know for my costings. I re-costed the chain because a customer wanted some, will just have to give her the new price and if I lose the order then c'est la vie. It does make custom orders a bit tricky when the original was cheaper! Perhaps I should just go through all of my listings and put up the price to reflect latest costings.....that should take a while!!

Costing is by far the most tedious part of jewellery making. It slows things right up if everything you make is a one off. I'm trying not to let the thought that silver is even more expensive stop me from making things. As I tend to hoard my materials, and that's not what they're for

I've just found some square wire I bought in 2019, which I am going to roll down for earrings. The price then was £3.68 and now it's £6.80, hooray the investment paid off!

Someone sent me a link to a sand casting video they'd found and suggested I should try it. I explained that silver is far too expensive for that kind of experiment at the moment, and hadn't she noticed that the things I'm making ar getting smaller and smaller