Thread: Silver Chain Price

Unhappy Silver Chain Price

Good morning - I have just been re-costing my chain and was shocked to see how much prices have risen since April. Silver 4mm Belcher has increased from 0.680 per g in April to 0.95 per g today. This makes a big difference to the finished piece. I will have to re-cost a lot of my stock because I offered different chain lengths for the same price previously, which is not possible now, so depressing....

Would that it were just chain though - my average Cookie's shopping basket has gone up by over 50% - to the point where I've had to delist things because I just can't justify passing on all of the increases in price to customers, especially on smaller items. I find trying to keep track of it very frustrating too - but I've always hated the admin side of things! I'd much rather be making stuff

I agree George - everything is so dear now, I mark every packet with the latest price so I know for my costings. I re-costed the chain because a customer wanted some, will just have to give her the new price and if I lose the order then c'est la vie. It does make custom orders a bit tricky when the original was cheaper! Perhaps I should just go through all of my listings and put up the price to reflect latest costings.....that should take a while!!

Costing is by far the most tedious part of jewellery making. It slows things right up if everything you make is a one off. I'm trying not to let the thought that silver is even more expensive stop me from making things. As I tend to hoard my materials, and that's not what they're for

I've just found some square wire I bought in 2019, which I am going to roll down for earrings. The price then was £3.68 and now it's £6.80, hooray the investment paid off!

Someone sent me a link to a sand casting video they'd found and suggested I should try it. I explained that silver is far too expensive for that kind of experiment at the moment, and hadn't she noticed that the things I'm making ar getting smaller and smaller

Pewter is inexpensive and perfect for casting - look at all those fabulous Scandinavian designs.

That's true Theresa, but in all honesty I could do without adding another string to my bow just yet