Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Argentium 935/960

I’ve never known the 935 mark and have been having my work assayed since 1979

Caroline, 935 only applies to Argentium

Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    Caroline, 935 only applies to Argentium
    Yes I understand that but as we tick a box of recognised metals I was just saying I’d never been aware of Argentine even now. My answer was more in relation to the last line of George’s post about 935 being used in Europe etc in the 70s

Ah! just misinterpreted your reply

The 935 standard is nothing to do with Argentium (which is a relatively recent development), but was an alloy popular for watch cases, especially in Switzerland and Germany, I believe, and was also used in Scandinavia - you can still get it there and is considered the best silver for viking weave.

As I understand it The 935 mark ceased to realistically exist for the majorities of hallmarking countries after the introduction of the 1972 (enacted in 1975) international convention on hallmarks.

https://hallmarkingconvention.org/en/about

We've managed to go rather off topic, however, and I think the answer to the original question is that the resulting alloy may well be 960 parts silver, but will not necessarily be Argentium 960, which requires a defined amount of Germanium, inter alia, that may not be present if 999 has simply been added to fulfil a mathematical formula.
    Last edited by mizgeorge; 21-09-2020 at 05:41 PM.