Thread: Broken saw blades

Default Broken saw blades

I seem to remember reading that one should save the broken saw blades for some purpose. Well at last I have done a deep clean and tidy of my bench and surrounds. (I will never be able to find anything until it is in a mess again!) Well I have gathered said broken blades but can’t remember why I was advised to save them......any ideas please?
    David.

They can be used for applying glue in small amounts, for instance when mounting half drilled pearls, or foil backed chatons.
    I cut them into short pieces and put a handle on mine, a mini pin vice, and sometimes bend them for better access. Dennis.

If you have an adjustable saw like an old eclipse you can reuse them, the one thing I dislike about the KC is blade waste.

If you use gel superglue you don't need to mess around with broken saw blades Dennis. Just a dot on the end of the pin and perhaps a swoosh on the inside of the cup and you're away and done.
    Mind you I had a bundle of blades yesterday which were driving me mad breaking before I'd even got near any metal. Do they perish and go brittle? These may be very old indeed.
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

Well that is interesting, I have never heard of blades becoming brittle, although a few years ago I had a pack of Vallorbe that did the same just that one pack never been a problem since

Interesting isn't the word I used after the third one broke!
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

Well, thanks again all of you for your input. Another little bit of knowledge to store away.
    David.

Not sure age is the problem Wendy, I’m sure in my mix there are blades that are decades old. Maybe as Bob said just a duff batch

Funny you should say that - I had 3 saw blades break on me in quick succession the other day having barely even touched metal. And I rarely have a blade break - they wear out first. These were Super Glardon Vallorbe 2/0.

Do saw blades get covid perhaps?
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk